Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2010 10:00

Dell Monitor G2210 Dynamic dimming

I purchased a Dell G2210 Monitor about 4 weeks ago largely because of its energy saving modes.

I have played around with settings for several weeks.  It appears when you set the Energy Mode to "Energy Smart Plus" or "Energy Smart" the screen just keeps randomly dimming now and again for no apparent reason.  There is no detectable change in light in my office (so it's not dynamically adjusting to changing light levels).  It just keeps dimming itself, often for a few seconds, then going back to being normal/bright.  Sometimes it dims by a small amount, then dims by a larger amount, then returns to normal.

The 'Dynamic Dimming' setting appears to only be available in "Energy Smart Plus" mode but my monitor is randomly auto-dimming in both "Energy Smart Plus" and "Energy Smart" mode.  The only way to avoid this problem is to set the Energy Mode to "Standard", which pressumably means it operates just like any other monitor (which appears to negate the point in buying it in the first place!).

I am assuming that given I've only had it about 4 weeks I will have installed all the latest drivers from the supplied CD etc.

The monitor is plugged into a Dell Inspiron 630m laptop running Windows XP Pro.

Any suggests welcome.

John

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 7th, 2010 12:00

There is no fix for this design. Our's do the same thing in the lab. There will not be any firmware updates to address this. All we can is recommend disabling the energy smart feature which you are already doing.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 8th, 2010 09:00

If your in the USA, I would like to capture your monitor. In exchange you would get a New G2210 (but will have the same issues). If your willing to do this, send me the following in a private message -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: G2210 Randomly Dimming

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2010 12:00

Hi Chris,

I'm experiencing the same problem with a G2210 that I just purchased a couple weeks ago. Has there been any progress on a solution?

Sivan

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 23rd, 2010 07:00

Since it is by design, there is no issue.

Ambient Light Sensor Fluctuates Flickers
There is no fault with the monitor, an exchange is not going to solve this. All you can do is go into the OSD (On Screen Display) -Energy Modes and set it to Standard.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 18:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I think there is a misunderstanding, however. The behavior I am referring to is not an occasional modulation of the screen brightness in response to changes in the ambient light or image brightness. This would be acceptable, and indeed expected. I understand the Energy Saver Plus mode, as it is well described in the Dell G2210 product material. 

Rather, my monitor exhibits a nearly continuous, erratic oscillation of the screen brightness, even when there are no changes in ambient light or screen image. My monitor's erratic behavior is not serving an energy saving purpose as Dell advertises it.  The sole reason I purchased the Dell G2210 was because of its energy efficiency credentials. I do not see turning off Energy Saving Plus mode to be a solution to this problem.

Best,

SK

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 24th, 2010 07:00

Turn any lights off in the room. Check the monitor. Is there any other device close the monitor that could be tripping the sensor?

July 4th, 2010 15:00

By design?  No fix planned?   I just received my monitor a day ago and I have energy set to standard and it still dims randomly. 

B. Berkov

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 7th, 2010 07:00

Get an exchange and see if the replacement acts the same way.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2010 15:00

I've had my G2210 Green Monitor for quite a while & I keep it in Standard mode all the time.  However, it flickers and stays dim (with an orange cast) for no apparent reason and then will snap back to a normal screen.

Nothing I do seems to fix this and it's extremely annoying.  I feel like a fool for putting up with it all this time, but just when I think I should call someone about it, it snaps back to normal.  Kinda like not fixing the roof when it isn't raining.

But I'm wondering if there is any way Dell be interested in a trade-in?  Believe it or not, I'm willing to buy another non-"green" monitor from Dell.

thanks

Rai

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 11th, 2010 17:00

There is not a trade in program. My advice is contact Support and see if a replacement acts the same way or not.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2010 15:00

My trade-in arrived yesterday.  Same behavior.  I'm afraid there is a flaw in this type of monitor.

Rai

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 18th, 2010 17:00

For testing, does the issue continue if you do turn off Energy Saving Plus mode?

3 Posts

December 19th, 2010 09:00

Yes, it continued in Standard mode.  

However, I tried a brand new Samsung monitor & it was also pink.  I unplugged everything & made sure the connections were clean, hooked up the Dell again & right now things are okay.  I'm hoping it lasts this time.  

You can be sure you'll hear from me if it starts flickering & turning pink again.  :-)

thanks

Rai

No Events found!