Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2013 12:00

Dell S2240T, 21.5-inch Monitor screen res issue

So here is my setup - Home PC (custom built) running Radeon HD5770 which has 2xDVI and HMDI.  Running Windows 8.1.  All drivers are up to date.

The main monitor is Dell 2405FPW connected via DVI.  This is set at 1920x1200 which is recommended setting.  Works perfect and looks great.

The 2nd monitor is the new S2240T connected via HDMI.  This is set at 1920x1080 which is the recommend setting.  Touch works fine but I have 1/2 inch black bar on top and bottom and about 1 inch black bar on left and right side.  I cant figure out how to get it to fill up the whole screen.

I also have my work laptop hooked up via DVI to the new S2240T monitor and it works just fine when I flipped over to it - full screen and all.  I also tried doing DVI instead of HDMI to my home PC but couldnt get the S2240T to show up at all with that setting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Greg

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Greg,

The Ati Catalyst scaling default is set to around 7.5 which causes a thick black borders around all 4 sides of the display.
* Right-click on your desktop and choose the AMD VISION Engine Control Center
* Along the left-hand side you will see My Digital Flat-Panels
* In there choose Scaling Options (Digital-Flat Panel)
* You will see a scroll bar for underscan and overscan. Check the box and slide the slider until your screen is filled
* Click Apply and done
-or-
* Right-click on your desktop and choose the AMD VISION Engine Control Center
* Along the left-hand side you will see My Digital Flat-Panels
* Click it and a sub menu pulls down
* Open the first item in the sub-menu 'Properties (Digital Flat Panel)'
* Move the slder (15%-0) to the right to 0
* Click Apply and done

Wow Chris, thanks for the quick response and that solved my issue!!

November 4th, 2013 16:00

Hi Chris, any idea how to fix it if you don't have the ATI Catalyst software installed?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2013 06:00

INTEL
Press Ctrl+Alt+F12 keys to open the driver control panel. Select the external display from the drop-down list for Display. Check if you are able to change Scaling option to Scale Full Screen.

NVIDIA
* Right click the desktop
* Click NVIDIA Control Panel
* Click Custom View- Define Custom View
* Put checks on all and choose Advanced Settings
* Click OK. It will refresh
* Under Display, click Adjust desktop size and position
* Choose from the choices
Use NVIDIA scaling - stretches to fully fit screen
Use NVIDIA Scaling with fixed-aspect ratio - fills screen without distorting proportions (i.e. you'll see black bars at top/bottom or sides)
Use my display's built-in scaling - relies on your monitor, which probably stretches to full screen
Do not scale - no scaling, so images smaller than 1920x1080 will be centered on the screen, with a black border around it
* Click Apply and or OK

November 5th, 2013 14:00

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7500 in an XPS 8700 running a fresh install of Windows 8.1. I did try to install the AMD Catalyst software, but it failed just stating there was an installation error. Not much to go on with that and there are many different posts out there with others have the same install failure with various different ways of fixing it.

November 6th, 2013 12:00

This is a Dell S2240T. I just got the monitor after having reinstalled with Windows 8.1, so no experience with Windows 8. I think the Catalyst software was preinstalled prior, though I don't remember ever needing to use it before.

The monitor I replaced with the S2240 worked fine with Windows 8 and 8.1. This one appears to be fine other than being able to get it to use the full screen. It also appears the touch is working correctly with the full screen size, so with the display being shrunk it is causing the touch to not line up with what is actually displayed. For example, if a button is on the left side of the screen I need to touch slightly farther to the left for it to actually press the button. I'm sure this will be fixed once the display is fixed to use the full screen though.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

What specific Dell monitor? Did you have this issue running Windows 8?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

I think you need to reinstall a AMD Radeon HD 7500 dedicated Windows 8.1 driver. It sounds like you have the remnant of the Windows 8 driver loaded. Is this the CCC/driver you tried to install?

1 Message

November 20th, 2015 02:00

It's actually always a problem with dell monitors and amd software, so i think u need to re-install monitor driver. Maybe ur system detect him wrong?! so it's one of the options.

No Events found!