Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

April 28th, 2008 00:00

SP2208WFP, HDMI, problem with zoom feature

I recently purchased two of these monitors. I have one at work and one at home. I take my laptop with me between the two places. I connect to the monitors with an HDMI cable so that I can use one cable for video and sound. I have the same problem with both monitors. The zoom feature always changes to 10% when the monitor is turned on or comes out of power save mode. I need to set this to 0 so that I can always see all of my screen.  How do I do this?

Thanks!

2 Posts

December 20th, 2023 16:20

I signed up just to say thanks to @gpro,​ who pointed this out. 

To add,
For anyone like myself who has this strange older monitor and still uses it but doesn't know how to resolve this issue, it is simple. The 10% zoom is a feature of the HDMI port using an HDMI cable, not a bug. For those who want a workaround, use an HDMI to DVI cable. I am using my PC's HDMI into the monitor's DVI port, and it works perfectly with no overscan.

2 Intern

• 

2K Posts

April 28th, 2008 02:00

'Normally, the zoom default is zero. But, when the input is in the YPbPr color space (HDMI), the monitor will do 10% overscan to avoid noise. For example, if connecting a monitor to DVD player in which the output is YPbPr.'

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message...id=88097#M88097

'Going back to the zoom default setting is by design.'

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?...id=87331#M87331 

Message Edited by gpro on 04-27-2008 10:37 PM

April 28th, 2008 04:00

That is crazy. Did they not expect computer uses to utilize the HDMI input for computing? Is there any way around this?

May 31st, 2011 10:00

It's now 3 years later and the Dell monitors continue to have this feature. And not just at powerup--after some resolution changes my monitor falls back into the 10% zoom so you can't see the complete task bar. I am so totally done with Dell monitors at this point.

April 22nd, 2017 09:00

I just bought a Macbook Pro and this happen. The simple solution was use a DVI to HDMI 2 dollar adapter and with the DVI that doesn't happen anymore.

2 Posts

December 20th, 2023 16:22

This should be marked resolved. See my other Response. ❤️ It's an easy fix.

No Events found!