Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2009 01:00

Dell U2410 DisplayPort Audio

Do all current Dell Monitors with a DisplayPort support audio output? In particular the the U2410.

The Reason for the question is that I own an ATI Radeon HD5850 Video Card and I am using the DisplayPort connection. I have installed the latest drivers (Catalyst 9.12) which mention "The ATI Catalyst 9.12 hotfix release adds support for DisplayPort audio for DisplayPort panels" The video card has its own HD Audio hardware. I have my 2.1 speaker system plugged into the 3.5mm audio output jack on the display.

Audio output works on the HDMI port. However the HDMI port is already in use with a video games console.

I have also raised this with my Video Card manufacturer, but need to confirm the U2410 is capable to output audio delivered to it via DisplayPort out of the 3.5mm stereo jack.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2010 13:00

Oh my god! I got it working!! :-)

After installing those drivers and turning the monitor off and back on again (while logged in), the audio started coming out through the U2410 speakers!

Every time I restart the machine, after logging in, it won't play sound. But if I turn the monitor off (so the sound temporarily 'falls back' to playing through the laptop speakers), and then back on again, and it will start playing on the U2410 speakers as expected.

The rest of that CCC driver was causing crashes, so I updated to 10-7_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc for everything else, except left the 'ATI High Definition Audio Device' driver at v7.11.0.7704.

Really happy to have finally got this working! Many thanks for your help Rossisen!

20 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 15:00

I'd like to know as well.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 28th, 2009 09:00

Me too

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 28th, 2009 17:00

Email sent.

8 Posts

December 28th, 2009 23:00

Hi Chris M

Can you send a copy of that email too.

If it is not much trouble can you leave the answer for all to see here or point to FAQ which answers it.

Thanks

Patrick.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 29th, 2009 16:00

Engineering response - The U2410 produces audio on DisplayPort assuming the graphics card is able to produce the audio also.

If the card supports DisplayPort Audio, it needs driver for the audio component as well. Can you tell me if there is a folder called HDMI or DisplayPort from the driver package?  Or after you installed the driver, is there a device listed as ATI Audio device in Device Manager?

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 12:00

Engineering response - The U2410 produces audio on DisplayPort assuming the graphics card is able to produce the audio also.

If the card supports DisplayPort Audio, it needs driver for the audio component as well. Can you tell me if there is a folder called HDMI or DisplayPort from the driver package?  Or after you installed the driver, is there a device listed as ATI Audio device in Device Manager?

In Device Manager is:      ATI High Definition Audio device

In Audio Devices is:         Ati HDMI Output

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 13:00

But nothing listed for Ati DisplayPort Output. Will check with engineering.

4 Posts

January 12th, 2010 01:00

there is something about display port audio on ati website

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_912_release_notes.pdf

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™
Software Suite for Windows 7. These include:
􀁺 Sound output from Display Port audio is now heard with extended mode
configurations with VGA or DVI panels

but od u2410 still silence :(

8 Posts

January 12th, 2010 02:00

Apparently AMD/ATI release new Catalyst video drivers every month and the version number is a date stamp ie Catalyst v 9.12 = Decemeber 2009

Recently a leaked beta Catalyst 10.1 driver has shown up on the web. I have noticed the HDMI Audio Driver is now named HDMI/DP Audio Driver (DisplayPort?) and the version number is 7.11.0 and my current driver version is 5.0.6 (Found in device manager)

- The beta driver package is 320MB

I would wait until the new 10.1 Catalyst drivers are released (within a week I hear)

- CrossFire X profiles per application will now be in a separate XML file that it will be possible to update independently of the driver itself
- ATI CrossFire X with PowerPlay for the Radeon 5x00s: reduced energy consumption of additional cards
-AMD Dual Graphics: Possibility of combining performances of the IGP of the RS880 with the forthcoming entry level GPUs from the Cedar and Park ranges.
- 3D Stereoscopics: Update of the D3D driver so as to allow third party firms such as IZ3D to use their 3D solution with 120 Hz screens. Support for Bit Cauldron glasses.
- Eyefinity: Bezel Management
- Better GPU acceleration in Windows 7 Video Converter
- Support for DisplayPort Audio (already in the 9.12 hotfix)
- If laptop manufacturers allow it, possibility of installing the Catalysts on a laptop in Vista and 7
- Improvement of 2D performance in Linux
- Support for Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2

Source: http://www.behardware.com/news/10636/catalyst-innovations-on-their-way.html

I'll try updating the audio driver to 7.11.0 and let you know of my results here.

8 Posts

January 12th, 2010 04:00

Tried installing only the HDMI/DP driver only for it to say it failed to install. Restarted PC and tried again - install report said failed.

So I installed the whole driver package and restarted the PC. I'm  happy to report the DisplayPort Audio is working now. I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit so that probably explains my driver version is now 6.57.0.6601 and not 7.11.0... (Windows 7?) Notice the Level Output name is not HDMI anymore.

These beta drivers a not digitally signed  which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). Most likely be fixed when the official Catalyst 10.1 version is released.

So it would seem this is not a Dell U2410 issue and is an Audio driver issue from AMD/ATI. The late 9.12 Hotfix did not do entirely what it should have done regarding DP Audio

Found a bug - Left and right stereo channels are crossed. Likely a driver issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 12th, 2010 05:00

Thanks for the notes and pictures.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2010 11:00

January 29th, 2010 06:00

Did anyone try DP audio output in this version?

8 Posts

January 29th, 2010 12:00

Yes I tried 10.1 and. DisplayPort Audio did not work. Uninstalled it and reinstalled the beta driver I mentioned above. (Driver package version 8.70 RC1)

Using twitter @CatalystMaker has said "10.1 is just a standard release to fix up some bugs, but 10.2 and 10.3 will indeed have some major new features"

Discussion here on Guru 3d forums and link for beta driver 8.70RC2: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313969

No Events found!