Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2013 19:00

Dell U3011 Horizontal Image Corruption / Lines / Help Needed!

I recently had to exchange my Dell U3011 due to a wake from sleep issue, but am having some issues with the replacement monitor. It appeared that the monitor was perfectly functional at first, but I have come to discover a rather serious issue. After the monitor has been on for a set amount of time (especially after the screen sleeps), it will begin to display a corrupted image. The only way to clear the corrupted image is to turn the screen on and then off. The corruption persists through a restart. Troubleshooting I've done. Tried three different computers. (i7 2600K on Asus P8P67 Deluxe with GTX 680, i7 3930K on Alienware R4 with 560 Ti, i7 860 on EVGA P55FTW with GTX 660 SLI). Tried DisplayPort and Dual-Link DVI cables supplied by Dell. Purchased a new Accell DisplayPort 1.2 cable. Updated video card and motherboard bios. Installed latest WHQL Nvidia drivers. Tried resetting monitor to factory defaults, repeatedly. Purchased a UPS to ensure proper power delivery. (CyberPower 1500PFCLCD). Monitor is Rev. A08 if that matters. 

Here are some examples of the horizontal lines that corrupt the image...

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/4555.Video-of-Corruption.mp4

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 20th, 2013 08:00

So you are using wake from sleep on all three systems? Turn OFF all power management in the operating system and retest.

May 20th, 2013 13:00

Chris,

Thank you for fixing the formatting of my posts and responding.

The only power feature I have enabled is to turn off the display after a set amount of time. The computer itself never sleeps, as I just shut it off completely. I don't use a screensaver.

Here is a screenshot of how I have things set:

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 20th, 2013 14:00

The Dell Displays Manager is just a mini-version of the Entech softMCCS.
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

The cool thing about it is that it has three to four Preset Operation Restore arrows depending on your monitor model:
Restore factory defaults
Restore factory geometry defaults
Restore factory color defaults
Restore factory luminance/contrast defaults

You can then use the software to adjust:
Luminance
Contrast
Color presets
RGB gain

Uninstall the Dell Displays Manager and restart the computer. Install the retail softMCCS, run the green arrow Restores and see if it fixes the issue.

May 20th, 2013 17:00

Chris,

I've downloaded softMCCS and run the green arrow that says, "Restores VCP values to their initial state." I also ran the "Restore Factory Defaults" command. I will report back in a day or two with the results.

Thank you,

Jason

May 20th, 2013 22:00

Chris,

It appears that the softMCCS default reset did not work. While using the monitor tonight the following happened:

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/1157.U3011Issues.mp4

At around the 30 second mark, you can see that the monitor completely fails to display a signal and the lights on the buttons all light up. The only way to get an image back at this point is with a power cycle. This has happened in the past, but seems to be becoming more frequent (having happened twice in the two hours I used the screen today).

I can't figure out what else to troubleshoot. This is the fourth U3011 I've had and none of the others did anything like this one. It's too bad, because this is otherwise the best looking of the bunch.

Thank you for your help,

Jason

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 21st, 2013 07:00

Get it replaced.

May 21st, 2013 15:00

Chris,

Do you have a recommendation for whom I might contact? The service tag on this replacement monitor isn't being recognized by the chat support system. The monitor is under warranty until January, 2014 and was purchased directly from Dell.

Thank you,

Jason

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 07:00

If you bought the monitor directly from Dell, then that means you have a Dell Order number assigned to you. Dell Chat should be able to look up the Order number in DellServ and see the original Tag from the 1st U3011. They can then setup another monitor exchange based off of the Order number.

1 Message

June 25th, 2013 09:00

Hi. I was wondering what the ultimate resolution of this issue was.  Was the monitor replaced?  My U3011 is exhibiting the same problem.  I have been going through the troubleshooting process (swapping video cards, cables, etc) to try to isolate the problem when I came upon this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

No Events found!