Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2016 17:00

Dell Ultrasharp U2414h problem

Hi, I just bought a Dell U2414h monitor not long ago (about 1 week), and I'm encountering this problem where the monitor shows a white ish pixelated screen, this happened 2 times now, one time from fresh pc power up where the monitor boot up from power save mode, 2nd time the screen would flicker like it's trying to refresh itself and end up with this white washed out colour.  You can see from the images I provided.  On start up menu, you could vividly see the desk top icons, I tried to do factory reset but it did not work.  I am using a nvidia gtx460 card and HDMI connection.  I'm hoping to find out if this is a defect or it has something to do with settings.  I just registered warranty today, which I was told could take 10-15 business days.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 13th, 2016 07:00

Remove the computer, video card, and video card cabling from the troubleshooting scenario. Perform the monitor BID (Built-in Diagnostics), page 55-57. If the BID does not show the issue, the monitor is fine. The fault lies with either the:
cabling
operating system display setting
video card driver
video card

8 Posts

May 13th, 2016 16:00

hi, this morning it happened again, it seems to always happen from when the PC turns on.  The solution I have found is simple as well, which is to simply wait it out which takes around 20 minutes.  After the pc powers up the screen is worse than the pictures I included (even more white ish, barely see anything), after a while the screen gradually goes back to normal (I've provided a normal screen picture at the end for reference).  With that said I have no intentions of waiting 20 minutes every time I power up my pc.  My question is, since I know that to get it back to work is simply to wait it out, does that exclude  my computer, video card cabling issues etc?  If not then what caused this problem?  I've done some troubleshooting on the net and found that it could be related to the monitor's inverter?  Anyway I'm no expert and would like to hear from you asap.  Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 13th, 2016 22:00

If you can replicate the monitor issue on another computer, then you have grounds to ask for an exchange. But, if when testing the monitor on another computer and the issue does not appear, that rules out a faulty monitor.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2016 00:00

hi, I just did the Monitor's self test and self diagnosis test, not to my surprise both test failed which pretty much confirmed it's the monitor's problem.  The first test shows the white border around the screen which is supposed to be completely black.  In the self diagnosis test, the first screen should be grey but what I got was pretty much a white smudge screen, red screen is odd as well.  I've included all relevant pictures.  This is my first Dell product so please guide me through the replacement procedure because I have no previous experience whatsoever (I'm based in Australia).  I also have a few questions: 1. usually how long does it take to get the replacement?  2.  Will I get a brand new monitor, or a refurbished product (bought brand new with service tag etc)?  3.  Do I pay the shipping cost or is it covered by Dell?  Also I apologise for the photo quality, I only have a camera phone and it's difficult to take shot of the monitor, in the picture, the one after green is supposed to be grey (the first screen test).  So at the moment I can't do anything except to wait 15 business days for my service tag to get registered before I could act correct?

Thank you

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 14th, 2016 07:00

Shipping depends on what is in stock for you region. If the exchange is setup inside the first 30 days from the invoice date, it will be new. Dell pays the shipping. Go here.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2016 14:00

hmm let me get this straight, it takes 15 business days to get your warranty registered, leaving you 11 days to get things sorted, can't even send them an email because the service tag wasn't registered,  I only registered the warranty a couple days ago when the monitor started having problems, never thought it would have problem this soon, so does that mean I will have to settle for a refurbishment?  Well is it possible to get a refund then?  This is absolutely ridiculous, I bought the monitor brand new, had issue in mere days and now I have to settle for a refurbishment?  Dell should have told their customers you need to register your warranty on the FIRST DAY for a chance to get a brand new replacement, which is absurd for any electronic products.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 14th, 2016 15:00

Explain the situation to the Care representative. Perhaps their manager can make an exception to the policy.

8 Posts

May 15th, 2016 18:00

I am really unhappy about how Dell handle it's warranty policies, I just called Dell tech support and the rep said the account isn't in my name and I have to do a warranty transfer just because I bought it from a reseller (brand new mind you) which who knows how long that'll take, didn't even get to the replacement part and I have to play the waiting game again, it seems Dell is putting up hurdles after hurdles to avoid sending unhappy customers brand new replacement.  This is my first Dell product and it will be my last. 

The warranty transfer on Dell's website clearly state it's for used product, I bought it brand new and registered the warranty yet I still have to do a warranty transfer? 

No Events found!