Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2014 05:00

Dell-provided drivers vs. manufacturers drivers

I wonder whether drivers available at Dell's webpage are in any way "better" than driver available from original manufacturers. Are they exactly the same drivers just packed into a single Dell-branded executable or are they somehow customized to work better with Dell's equipment?

The thing is that Dell-provided driver packs install everything that a manufacturer provides, including any obsolete applications that almost nobody uses. Personally I'm interested in installing drivers only without any additional applications considered needed and/or helpful by the manufacturer.

Examples include nVIDIA - I just want the driver itself without nView Manager or even 3D Driver (I'm not gaming at all). Same with Intel's PRO Set - I don't want its WiFi Manager application as I don't connect to tens of wireless networks with different settings. No to mention that manufacturers drivers are usually newer than those available at Dell's webpage (but it can be explained by testing them with Dell machines - at least I hope so).

When using drivers from nVIDIA and Intel webpages I'm able to choose whether I want to install additional package contents or skip it. With Dell's packages I have almost no control over installation process (apart from selected exclusions).

Thus - is it advised to use primarily Dell-provided drivers or am I free to use original drivers as provided by manufacturers?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 18th, 2014 09:00

I wonder whether drivers available at Dell's webpage are in any way "better" than driver available from original manufacturers. Are they exactly the same drivers just packed into a single Dell-branded executable or are they somehow customized to work better with Dell's equipment?
* They are older WHQL drivers modified by us to work better with our Dell OEM (original equipment manufacturer) hardware.

Thus - is it advised to use primarily Dell-provided drivers or am I free to use original drivers as provided by manufacturers?
* You should test the manufacturer drivers. In the event of any issues, we will ask you to remove them and reinstall ours before we troubleshoot the issues.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2014 11:00

Got that! Thank you for the explanation.

If they are altered in any way to work better with Dell hardware, I believe I will stick to them.

No Events found!