Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

May 7th, 2008 08:00

How to disable HDCP?

Hello,

If I connect an HDCP enabled monitor to an HDCP enabled graphic card, whill the HDCP will always be enabled, i.e. encrypted, even if I just use my PC for working and browsing the web? This means that I cannot use a DVI-D or HDMI splitter? (see the same pictures at two different displays)

Thank

2 Intern

• 

2K Posts

May 7th, 2008 11:00

HDCP is only invoked when attempting to view HDCP encrypted content. The spec allows for downscaling to a non-compliant display but this is optional. I doubt that you would be able to view HDCP content through a simple 'Y' type splitter. Powered, HDCP compliant DVI and HDMI splitters are available but not cheap.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2008 12:00

Thanks. So basically, when not showing an HDCP content, the encryption is not invoked, even if both monitor and graphic card enable it. Does it depends on the card and monitor vendors? Additionally, it should not down-scale resolution for non-HDCP content?

Thanks again

2 Intern

• 

2K Posts

May 7th, 2008 13:00

An HDCP enabled monitor or graphic card basically means they have an HDCP authentication chip. The chip just sits there doing nothing until you attempt to view HDCP encrypted content. Non-HDCP content is not affected. What happens when you attempt to view HDCP content on non-compliant hardware is up to the content provider. In most cases you will probably see a black screen and/or a message.

No Events found!