Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 19:00

E2014T Touch not working

I just received a Dell E2014T Touch monitor and am working on getting it up and running. I bought it used, and it did not come with a driver CD, so I downloaded and installed all the drivers from the Dell Driver website. The display on the E2014T works fine, but I have no touch capability with it. I also have no sound when the HDMI cable is connected. What should I do next?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 4th, 2014 07:00

Yelman,

As per the setup diagram, did you connect the monitor USB cable from the monitor to the computer USB port? The E2014T does not have speakers. Did you plug external speakers into the bottom audio out jack? Did you go into the computers audio setup and choose HDMI out out as the default audio?

6 Posts

February 4th, 2014 09:00

The USB connection is plugged in. I have also tried it in every USB port on my computer. My computer shows that the monitor is running with the E2014T.icm and monitor.sys drivers, not the ones that I downloaded and installed from Dell. When I hit "Update Driver..." though, it won't allow me to read the downloaded drivers to the monitor.

I managed to get the sound working.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 4th, 2014 15:00

Our stand alone Touch capable monitors do not require a specific Touch driver. The Touch capability is inate in the operating system.

How do I calibrate my Touch settings?
* Connect the monitor USB Upstream cable from the bottom of the monitor to a USB port on the computer
* Make sure Control Panel -System & Security -System -Device Manager -HID touch device is recognized as shown below:
HID-compliant device
Microsoft Input Configuration Device
USB Input Device
* Run the Windows Control Panel -Hardware & Sound -Tablet PC -Calibrate
-OR-
* Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. If you are using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search
* Enter calibrate in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input to open Tablet PC Settings
* Check that the monitor shown in the Display field matches the screen you want to calibrate
* Tap or click Calibrate
* Touch your finger on the screen at that center of black cross until the cross moves
* The pointer moves to fifteen further positions in sequence for the first calibration and three further positions in sequence if previous calibration data is stored
* Store the calibrated data to complete the touch screen calibration procedure

6 Posts

February 4th, 2014 17:00

Everything seems to be in order.

under the Device Manager, I have "HID-compliant consumer control device" followed by two "HID-compliant touch screen", four "HID-compliant vendor defined device", one "HID compliant wireless radio controls" "HP wireless button driver", two "Microsoft input configuration Device", and 5 "USB input Device"

The monitor also appears under "Monitors" as the Dell E2014T (HDMI1)

Could the issue be that I have the monitor connected to a laptop?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 4th, 2014 20:00

* Open the Control Panel- System and Security- Administrative Tools
* Open up the Services link
* Scroll down to the Tablet PC Input Service. If it is not enabled - enable it
* Right click on it, select Properties
* Change Startup type to Automatic
* Click Apply
* Right click it and select Start. Give it a second to start and then the touch input should be working

6 Posts

February 4th, 2014 20:00

I found the Services page, but when I scroll down I don't have the "Tablet PC Input Service" at all. The closest thing is "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Pane Service"

I also looked under "Input Service" and "PC Input Service" and tried searching in the help menu. Those didn't turn anything up either.

The touch screen on my actual computer works fine...

Do I need to somehow find and install that service?

EDIT: I did some digging and found out that the Tablet PC Input Service is not available in windows 8 (I have 8.1). the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Pane Service took its place. On my computer, it was already set to "Automatic (Trigger Start)" and under the Properties I don't have an option to remove the "Trigger Start" part.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 06:00

I was not aware that your computer was also touchscreen. That changes things. What specific computer model? Do you have a non-touch computer to test the touch monitor on?

6 Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

The computer is an HP envy touchsmart 15t-j100. I upgraded it with an NVIDIA graphics card and extra ram, but otherwise it is stock. I do have a second computer (not a touch screen, but still running 8.1) and the monitor still did not work, even after running through the above steps and downloading and installing the drivers. Could the problem be with a USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility? The laptop uses 3.0 and the monitor has 2.0.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

Could the problem be with a USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility? The laptop uses 3.0 and the monitor has 2.0.
* No. USB 3 is backward compatible to 2.

You said it was used. From whom did you purchase it? A local store, person, ebay?

6 Posts

February 5th, 2014 10:00

I got it from Amazon Warehouse Deals. They said that everything was in working order, but the drivers disc was not included.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 11:00

I would return it to them and purchase a NEW one directly from us. That way you will get a Dell order and customer number tied to you. To initiate a return, go to the Amazon Online Return Center.

1 Message

February 18th, 2014 14:00

I bought the the E2014T last night and have the same issue. I made the mistake of updating to 8.1. Here is the issue. When you go into device manager it does not recognize the usb being plugged in anymore unknown usb device (Device descriptor request failed ). Dell needs to create a driver for the monitor to allow touch in 8.1. This is just like when Windows released Vista and none of the printers we owned worked until the manufacturer wrote new drivers. So yes upgrading to windows 8.1 caused it but Dell needs to fix it. It is simple in theory. Write a driver.  

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 18th, 2014 21:00

Dell needs to create a driver for the monitor to allow touch in 8.1.
* Dell does not provide a touch driver. The touch driver is inate in the operating system. So Microsoft will have to fix this.

No Events found!