Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2010 18:00

E228WFP Backlight Issue (Turns off every 5 - 10 mins or less) Group Thread

hey everyone,

I thought it'd be nice if we could have a list of everyone who is having this issue, but is beyond the warranty ending period. Also, maybe someone can suggest a fix that is cheap/easy (doesn't necessitate buying a new monitor). I know dell is saying that it's not their responsibility, but I really don't think that a manufacturing defect should be at my expense. Anyways, I'm currently leaving it off at night, it lasts about 2 - 3 hours per day this way. Does anyone know what the specific problem is. Is it something overheating? Good luck to everyone.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

January 12th, 2010 13:00

13 Posts

January 14th, 2010 16:00

Our IT department was throwing old equipment into the dumpster do I asked if I could take it to Electronics recycling and they said yes.  After looking at the stuff most of it was just "old" and could go to Goodwill. 

The E228WFP was too tempting to throw away.  It powered up but turns off just like everyone's else.

I would love to find the root cause, but AD Board or Power supply covers the only two boards in this system.  I see the Power supply on the web for $50, but without confirming it is the cause it isn't worth the risk when you can buy a brand new 22" for $150.

It probably isn't the CFL or the screen itself.  If somebody says it C805, or this IC, let me know and I can prevent this monitor from becoming landfill fodder.

1 Message

March 9th, 2010 16:00

I would like to know for sure what it is as well, there has to be an internal bullitin at dell, because a quick google of this particular monitor and backlight issue brings up a TON of results, meaning the cause has to be known down the the individual component at fault. Possibly with a long term fix, so ya dont just keep replacing boards.

13 Posts

March 9th, 2010 20:00

Hi

There is another thread, and replacing a resistor is fixing it for people.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19285583/19650874.aspx?PageIndex=3

No Events found!