Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2014 13:00

E2414H, VGA vs. DVI, and working with a docking station

I installed a new E2414Hr monitor today. It works fine off a laptop using a VGA cable. But I had been running two laptops, a personal and a work laptop, through a docking station, and the old Dell monitor that died (after about 10 years) was all DVI. The docking station only has a DVI female connection. The back of the monitor has both a VGA and a DVI output connection. So I ran a DVI cable into the docking station, and got a notice on the monitor that "VGA cable not attached." So I did run a VGA cable from monitor to laptop, just to see if everything was OK, and it is.

But the problem is that I want to use the docking station. So my question is do I use a VGA cable with a DVI adapter going into the docking station? And if the monitor wouldn't operate without a VGA connection being in, why have a DVI connection built into it to begin with? Would that be for another input, but it works only if the VGA input is installed as well?

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 8th, 2014 23:00

* Turn the docked computer and monitor off
* Disconnect the VGA cable from the monitor
* Setup like this = Dock DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> E2414H DVI in
* Turn the monitor on, then the docked computer
* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Choose Input Source
* Change to DVI-D
* Exit the OSD

3 Posts

November 9th, 2014 11:00

I hate to sound stupid, but when you say Press the Menu button, what button is that?

3 Posts

November 9th, 2014 12:00

Just to follow  up on my question, I have gone through several different avenues looking for the OSD button, but I can not find it, and I do not know what "menu" button you're speaking about, because I do not see any button, or any specific command, called "menu." I am using an HP Pavillion laptop; is that why I don't see this button? And do you know the equivalent way of getting to the OSD button?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 9th, 2014 21:00

From the E2414H User's Guide. 3rd button from the top.

No Events found!