Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2012 16:00

HDMI to DP for Dell U2412M and AMD Radeon HD 7570

Hi there...

I just bought a new PC and monitor from Dell and have not been able to successfully install an HDMI/DP cable... the video card has an HDMI out and the display has the DP in... 

Dell sent me what appears to be an HDMI - DP adapter, but that still hasn't worked.  I tried another cable - an HDMI - DP cable (not mini DP, regular DP) and that too did not work.  The display works just fine with the DVI cable, but the DP is a no-go so far.

When the HDMI/DP connection is made, the display won't recognize the connection - it says "no signal" and after 5 minutes goes into power save mode. I've tried to let it auto detect the input, then I tried to tell it to use the DP input, I've rebooted countless times... I've not researched if it could be a driver issue... I'm out of ideas.  I'm on Win7 64bit, if that's in any way helpful.  Dell tech support hasn't been able to help me resolve this issue.

I've no idea if it's the card, or the cable, or the monitor, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this.  

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks very much in advance!

- Jennifer 

June 6th, 2012 15:00

Hi jenniferloring ,

Welcome to the Community ,

You would find the ATI Catalyst Center when you right click on your desktop screen so check if the Monitor is getting detected there first. I would ask you to try switching the displays using the Catalyst Center and not the Windows+P key. If its not then try this link to update your graphic card drivers.

http://bit.ly/r4Tqut . Its AMD Driver Autodetect tool which will try to download latest drivers and ask you to install it. Please revert back after you try these.

Thanks,

Nikhil

June 6th, 2012 16:00

Thanks Nikhil - we did that with tech support on the phone the other day - still couldn't find a way to detect the DP/HDMI signal.  I'm finding on other forums that HDMI doesn't convert to DP - if it does, it sounds like you need a handful of adapters to make it work.  And just a little while ago I heard back from Dell that the video card is not compatible with DP, so they want to swap out the video card so it'll be DP to DP, which is what I'd prefer - consistent standards.

I think the problem is that the base configuration I bought wasn't compatible with the associated peripherals offered - Dell needs to make sure that all components are compatible and pair those up in the purchase/configuration process, then these issues may not happen.

Regardless, I'm just happy someone finally responded and seems to understand the problem.

Thanks again.

-J

June 11th, 2012 15:00

I appreciate your effort calling Tech Support and getting the information and at the same time, we would consider your feedback valuable and Dell would definetely work on it. Any additional assistance you may need, we are available all the time. Thank you.

6 Posts

June 26th, 2012 08:00

Hi Nikhil

Just reading this thread because I fear I may be about to have the same problem.  I have just ordered a Dell XPS 8500 and a Dell U2412m monitor.  The XPS has VGA or  HDMI output from the graphics card and the U2412M has VGA, DVI-D or Display Port input. ( strange that a monitor of this quality does not have HDMI ).

I presume VGA will give me an inferior connection because it is analogue, so would you recommend a DVI-D to HDMI converter for the monitor or Display Port to HDMI.

Thanks for your help

David

June 26th, 2012 09:00

Hi David,

DP is supposed to be superior to HDMI (or at least comparable - I forget) but the problem is, you can't convert HDMI to DP - I think DP can be converted to HDMI, but I wasn't able to get an HDMI cable to convert the signal to DP, into the monitor.

I found out later that the video card I had came in two versions - one with an HDMI out and one with a DP out - make sure your card has a DP out or it won't work.  You'll need to contact Dell and tell them that you need a DP-out video card so you can avoid all the hassle I went through trying to solve the problem.

Dell sent me a new card with a DP out and I've had no trouble since.  Well, actually, the catalyst software is pretty unstable, but the DP cable works and the display looks great.

Good luck!

December 4th, 2012 18:00

Hi Jennifer,

I think I have the same issue. I ordered XPS 8500 with AMD 7570 which does not have DP support.

May I know what was your system ? and what card was replaced for you with DP ?

What process did you use to order the card with DP ?

-Thanks in advance

--

Hi David,

DP is supposed to be superior to HDMI (or at least comparable - I forget) but the problem is, you can't convert HDMI to DP - I think DP can be converted to HDMI, but I wasn't able to get an HDMI cable to convert the signal to DP, into the monitor.

I found out later that the video card I had came in two versions - one with an HDMI out and one with a DP out - make sure your card has a DP out or it won't work.  You'll need to contact Dell and tell them that you need a DP-out video card so you can avoid all the hassle I went through trying to solve the problem.

Dell sent me a new card with a DP out and I've had no trouble since.  Well, actually, the catalyst software is pretty unstable, but the DP cable works and the display looks great.

Good luck!

December 4th, 2012 19:00

Hi there... Dell ended up replacing the card I had (it might have been the 7570 - I forget now - that wasn't DP-compatible) with the AMD Radeon HD 7700 card.  Once you have that installed and a DP-DP cable, you'll be all set.

No Events found!