Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2009 19:00

Heat of the Dell 2209WA monitor + hot pixel

Hi,

I recently purchased and received a Dell 2209WA monitor, which arrived after two months with a defect, it has a "hot pixel" (I read this term here http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19273741.aspx ) near the middle of the screen. Because, here in Brazil where I live, the Dell employees responsible for taking care of this issue are always in a meeting, I have already taken this case to Consumer Affairs (which is called Procon here) and now I am waiting for an answer, which most likely will not exist (because of the meeting), so the whole thing will probably end up in court. Dell in Brazil has a terrible customer support, I think that it is the worst I have ever had contact with.

Anyway...

Sitting in front of this particular monitor is like sitting in front of a furnace, it gives off a lot of heat in this direction. You sweat, and sweat... drink a lot of water... Your face feels hot all of the time... So I'd like to know: Is all of this heat normal? Is it somehow related to the "hot pixel"? (yes, I know "hot" is not to be taken literally, although...). I am asking this because I am reconsidering the entire Dell 2209WA monitor issue altogether. Actually, Dell altogether...

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 3rd, 2009 08:00

The pixel has nothing to do with the monitor ambient temperature. Did you buy the monitor from Dell directly or through a 3rd party reseller?

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 10:00

Hey DELL-Chris M,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I purchased it directly from Dell, using Dell's web site. I was just contacted by a Dell employee, which got my complaint through consumer affairs (Procon). He said that Dell will replace the monitor if, and only if, the technical department here in Brazil confirms that one single hot pixel is a valid argument for this. Because I read your other post (cited above) I understand that a refusal on Dell's part is equivalent to stating that Brazil is a trash can... I wouldn't be surprised after this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8157165.stm

I hope that they don't refuse (yes I cited document 339667, thanks!). I will post as soon as I get an answer.

About the heat, it is very uncomfortable, so I guess that if I get a new monitor I will still have the same problem...

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 3rd, 2009 11:00

They are incorrect in pushing back on you! DSN 339667 is a Dell Global policy.

Dell's UltraSharp Premium Panel Guarantee is a Dell commitment to ensure that UltraSharp monitors are free from any permanently lit pixel defects during the limited warranty period. This guarantee provides an exchange for a replacement monitor, even if only one permanently lit pixel is discovered.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 12:00

Hi DELL-Chris M

Again, thanks for your reply.

I just received another phone call from the same guy at Dell here in Brazil and he insisted that, even though Dell's policy states that up to 5 defective pixels is accepted as normal, an exception will be made in my case and they will send me a new 2209WA monitor, but they will not guarantee that it will have zero defective pixels. I asked if that means that Dell is stating that they will not be responsible for this same issue in the new monitor and he said something like "the monitor carries a three year warranty". I insisted about the DSN 339667 policy and he said he could not find it but he has a similar document with the 5 pixel policy.

It appears that nobody at Dell here in Brazil has any interest in learning about DSN 339667, which somehow again brings us back to the trash can analogy...

But hey DELL-Chris M, thanks for the help, I will continue to post as the issue progresses.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 4th, 2009 00:00

When using a black background, what color is this pixel?

4 Posts

September 15th, 2009 12:00

Hi DELL-Chris M,

I just got a replacement monitor from Dell, this time no bad pixels! I just finished calibrating it with the Spyder and it is surely the best monitor I have ever seen. I have always been reluctant regarding LCDs as opposed to CRTs but this one really kicks the boundary line out of site.

The only complaint that I have, other than regarding the 0800 customer service here in Brazil (BTW, I had to talk to several Dell Lawyers and sign a document which had to go to a registrar), is the heat. I turned down the brightness and it may or not have slightly been reduced.

About the black background, I just read your post so I can't perform the test, but I am guessing that the pink pixel color would turn black on a black background, which is similar or identical to the description given by storm20200 in the other post cited above.

Thanks, bowzee

No Events found!