Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2005 13:00

I Think I'm Going Crazy!!

Please help before I throw this computer out the window. I recently purchased a used computer which had everything removed from the hard drive. (I'm not very computer savvy, as you can tell). I reinstalled a Windows 2000 Professional OS with no problem, however my monitor is frozen at a 16-color display. I have tried everything, including installing the driver CD that came with the OS - it just sat there, nothing happened. All I want to do is to be able to adjust the color setting so that pictures don't look like negatives, or some Andy Warhol lithograph. IS THERE A SIMPLE WAY TO DO THIS? And by simple, I mean I need directions that a 6-year old would understand. The "simple" instructions I've found have told me what I need to do, but I get to the Monitor screen in the Advanced section and when I am told to click Properties I am unable to do so. To the left of that button it says "Default Monitor". None of the instructions I've found online seem to relate to this program. And of course, I really don't think I know what I'm doing -- HELLLLLLP!

September 20th, 2005 14:00

I'm at work now - will get the information to you when I get home tonight. I haven't been able to install any drivers, "chipset" or otherwise. Thanks for your help. Is this process something I can handle, or should I call in a professional. I appear to grow more clueless by the day!!

Thanks again, Drew.

Pat

You need to download your videocard drivers. You need to tell us your system specifications for us to be able to help you. What videocard does your system have. Did you reinstall the chipset drivers?

You'll be fine, once you figure out what's in your system, it's just a matter of downloading the correct files and installing them. much less of a pain then the complete reinstallation of windows. you'll be fine :smileywink:

September 20th, 2005 20:00

Here is some information I was able to get from the seller of the computer:

Model # XPST 550

Video Card: ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP 4XTMDS

I have installed Windows 2000 Professional on the computer and that is all that I was able to install at this time. Please let me know if you need further information and I'll try to get that for you.

Thanks so much in advance.

Pat

4 Posts

September 20th, 2005 23:00

Hi Pat,

I was having the same problem(see my post)

After reading your post I went to online support,punched in my system(Dem 3000)

I had it search for videocards for this system(I did not know what I had)

It searched,found the driver and then I clicked it, presto...I was back in business

Everything started doing what I wanted it to do!!

Hope this help's.

By the way,if I hadn't seen your post I would still be trying to figure it out!Thankyou!   

September 21st, 2005 14:00

Thanks Steve - I've gotten some great information from you guys on the board. Last night I vowed not to turn on the stupid computer, but tonight I'll put some of your suggestions into action. One of the big problems I'm having is not only are the colors bad, but the text is distorted in some cases and really quite impossible to read. Thanks again to you and Drew. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you hear a loud crash all the way from Colorado Springs, Colorado, you'll know that I threw the #%^*% thing out the window after all.

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2005 00:00

Glad to help

If I hear a crash it will be a big one as I live in Ontario,Canada!!!

No Events found!