Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2011 01:00

I had planned on using my u2711 for photography, instead of an expensive NEC/Eizo screen

Problem is, managing colors on a Windows/OSX box is hard. If the display is wide-gamut it is even harder. Dell do not seem able or willing to make it any easier:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53825.160;topicseen

Dell makes offhand mention of DDC in the online documentation <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
. From what I have been told, the problem with DDC and Dell stems from Dell's transfer of all firmware development to a new group when the transition from CRT to LCD occurred. Some LCD Dell monitors returned an EDID (the "Extended Display Identification Data" tag used to identify a particular panel) for a previous generation CRT. There are other quirks with Dell's DDC implementation, of which their own engineers may or may not be aware.

Slightly off the topic but yes it seems that quite a few Dell ultrasharp monitors have DDC built in them but they posses nowhere near the implementation of NECs and Eizos. 
To be honest it's a horrible hit and miss (more miss than hits) affair everytime I tried to take advantage of DDC using CEDP that I dismissed using it entirely.

The last I heard, the guys at Integrated Color (makers of CEDP) gave up on talking to Dell. At least two other monitor profiling software vendors I am aware of are working actively on cracking DDC on Dell UltraSharp displays. As I mentioned above, there is serious confusion within Dell regarding DDC.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 14th, 2011 08:00

I do not understand the issue? Do you have the U2711 to test on or is this just pre-sales questioning?

The VGA, DVI, and HDMI have both the DDC Clock and DDC Data pins.

The monitor automatically provides the computer system with its Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) using Display Data Channel (DDC) protocols so the system can configure itself and optimize the monitor settings. If required, the user can select different settings, but in most cases monitor installation is automatic.

The monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Other Settings has the DDC/CI option Enabled by default.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2011 15:00

Does anyone at dell use their monitors for image editing where precise colors matter?

I have the Dell U2711. I am dissatisfied in that I bought a wide-gamut display but cannot easily use it as a wide-gamut display in Adobe Lightroom or any other application. If I switch the display into the default mode, colors are way off (Lightroom/Windows thinks it is a sRGB display which it clearly is not). If I switch it into sRGB emulation colors are reasonable, but then I am limited to the sRGB color space.

So I bought a hardware calibrator piece (Spyder 3), and spent time trying to calibrate the display response (and profile it so that Lightroom will know what an rgb value of e.g. [34 22 72] will look like physically). Ideally, I would like to access the internal look-up-tables of the monitor to alter its response to e.g.  [34 22 72] coming over DVI using DDC. According to the open-source and proprietary color-management, Dell is unwilling to share how this can be done.

Even better would be if this could be done on-the-fly so that color-aware applications would have access to the full native colorspace of the monitor (with exact profiling so e.g. Lightroom could take its due actions), while color-unaware applications (like ... almost all applications on a PC or mac except still-image editors) would adress the monitor in a precise sRGB emulation. I.e. switching the monitor into sRGB emulation mode unless Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop/... was running. I will admit that this latter request is as much a frustration over operating systems as it is over lack of monitor features.

-k

No Events found!