Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2016 16:00

Is my UltraSharp UP2414Q alright? -- Colour/brightness uniformity issue

Hello there, community!

I've recently purchased factory refurbished Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q to use for editing alongside my old trusty UltraSharp U2412M.

I must say I'm not sure if I am just unimpressed by the picture quality or my monitor is faulty / hasn't been properly calibrated. I am certain that U2412M just looks better, more natural in colour, but most importantly, it is much more uniform in tint and brightness with much better viewing angles -- UP2414Q has these pinkish spots and also this excessive backlight bleed that's apparent when the screen is dark.

I tried different picture profiles, uniformity compensation (which maybe helps a little bit but hardly) and reset to factory defaults without any results.

This is something I didn't expect from a monitor that's much newer and higher class than my old one, not to mention it must have been individually calibrated.

Here is a photo of how it looks alongside U2412M, both similarly angled and with the same grey background:

Is this monitor really supposed be this bad? Or is it not calibrated properly or is it a faulty one? What can I do to fix this? And what should I do if I can't?

Thanks in advance!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 12:00

CN0-WWRHC-74445-4CI-121L
The 4CI = December 18, 2014
I should have stated, "So you have a 15 month old monitor.". My mistake.

You cannot register a monitor without a service tag number. The warranty ends on December 18, 2017. If it ever needs exchanging prior to December 18, 2017, read this, last section.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 22nd, 2016 17:00

You mentioned refurbished, purchased used from Dell or a reseller? The 20 digit serial number will tell us how old it is but not how many previous owners it may have had. Post pictures of it running the BID (Built-In Diagnostic), page 51. You should open the OSD (On Screen Display) -Color Settings and test the Zonal Color Space settings, page 33. You should consider using the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution software and the X-Rite i1Display Pro Colorimeter to properly calibrate the monitor.

14 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 18:00

Hi Chris,
thank you so much for the prompt response.

I bought the monitor through eBay but the seller said it is factory tested and officially refurbished.

Here's the PPID:

Something strange happened as I woke it up from sleep -- first of all, Zonal Color Space was turned on with screen split into two even though the corresponding setting was OFF. Even resetting to factory settings didn't help until I changed it manually. Secondly, the screen brightness/colour became notably more uniform! No matter in which colour space or preset, and in fact I think it's even slightly more solid with Uniformity Compensation set to OFF. It's still not as good as U2412M (and I think the viewing angle is generally worse), but definitely tolerable now.

Regarding the calibration -- isn't it supposed to be factory calibrated, including the refurbished units?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 06:00

Since previous users may have used it, there is no telling what they changed from our factory calibration. This is why I always buy new directly from Dell and never from a reseller.

CN0-WWRHC-74445-4CI-121L

Manufactured on December 18, 2014. So you have a three 15 month old monitor. That is 15 months of the 3 year warranty that you cannot get back. My advice, return it. Then buy a new one directly from Dell.

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 07:00

Calibration is different from uniformity.
Factory calibration is actally gamut emulation, I do not expect form these dells to have an accurate white point out of the box in sRGB or AdobeRGB modes.

14 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Yumichan,

calibration as a term can be applied to many things, in this case I was worried about both colour tone and uniformity.

I've read in a review that UP2414Q are individually colour calibrated and after their tests they were pretty spot on.

14 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Thanks Chris,

but I thought a user cannot change the factory calibration, can they? Not when I perform a factory defaults reset?

I would definitely prefer buying from Dell directly but from the resellers I can often get the same product quite a lot cheaper, sometimes even half the price.

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 09:00

factory calibration = 50% OSD brightness

Gamut ok, gamma ok, but white point will not be D65... it could be, but is unlekely.

14 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

Yumichan:

Dell makes some bold claims about the UP2414Q. Its 1000:1 contrast ratio is nothing special and neither is the 8ms response time, but the 99% Adobe RGB coverage and 100% sRGB caught our attention, as did Dell's claims that the UP2414Q comes factory calibrated to below DeltaE 2.0. Any DeltaE less than two gets close to indistinguishable to the human eye.

As ever we fired up our XRite i1 Display Pro to get our own readings. We were instantly pleased to see the UP2414Q hitting a colour temperature of 6625K without any tweaking, which is very close to the ideal of 6500K. The peak brightness of 375 nits is seriously impressive, too, but in actual fact it's needlessly so and this is reflected in a less impressive 839:1 contrast ratio.

That's less than Dell's quoted native figure, and among the lower ones we've seen in recent times. It's not a disaster, but it's disappointing all the same and results in a distinct grey bias in blacks and a slightly underwhelming black level.

Read more at www.trustedreviews.com/dell-up2414q-review-image-quality-and-verdict-page-2

14 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

Chris,

Manufactured on December 18, 2014. So you have a three month old monitor. That is three months of the 3 year warranty that you cannot get back. My advice, return it. Then buy a new one directly from Dell.

If it's 3 months old, you must have meant 2015? But isn't it discontinued? 3 months of 3 year warranty isn't such a big deal..

BTW, do I have to register it for the warranty?

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 12:00

It's not my fault that trustedreviews guys do not even know the basics about color: correlated color temperature is not a valid measure for "white color" or uniformity. Actually all this review is just rubbish done with i1Profiler/DCCS

It's not my fault that you cannot evaluate if you are reading a good review or this kind of joke review. Colors = coorinates.

BTW: that deltaE is a mean value...at 50% brightness as I said before... and since gamut emulation is more or less acurate...Would you guess where is the error? I wrote it previously...

BTW v2:1000:1 contrast is meant to be native white contrast. As you go to further whites it drops. "Trustedreviews" guys do not know even the basics...

BTW v3: this software is the proper way to do it:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19679044
Use RG_phosphor correction for your i1DisplayPro.

14 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 13:00

Yumichan,

my knowledge is definitely limited in this regard, however having filmmaking background, I do have my understanding of the white balance, and how that affects the colour-cast. I don't do the finishing colour grade but do work on footage correction and it would be nice to have somewhat accurate colour/brightness representation and not having to rely on scopes/histogram exclusively.

I guess I should get someone to help me with the calibration as I don't really have time to learn all this stuff by myself.. But I will still have a closer look at the case you linked -- thanks for your input! :)

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 13:00

If gamut, gamma and grey balance are accurate in factory calibrated modes then it's easy to calibrate these dells to whatever white you want, D65 or a warmer white... but you need an AMD or Quadro and a measurement device.
The most useful factory calibrated modes is sRGB (or DCI-P3 if you need it) because once fixed to your desired white it can be used in applications without color management.

No Events found!