Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2010 10:00

Major glitch with my 15" Dell flat panel display attached to my Dell 3000 (with XP)

I get NOTHING on my display; it is completely black. Furthermore, none of the usual images appears when I press any of the three buttons to the left of the power indicator. The power indicator button is currently amber. Pressing it once turns the light off. Pressing it again turns the indicator green for 1 second after which it returns to amber.

When I turn the pc off (by hitting the power button on the System Unit) and then ON, the system as if it is booting properly (the numlock light comes on and off; the display power light is green; I hear the familiar Windows chimes.) But I get nothing on my screen! After many minutes (like 40) the green light on the display turns to amber.

Whatever could have gone wrong? One minute everything was working, 30 minutes later (without anyone touching the system) my screen was dark. It is as if the CRT gun in a CRT burned out … but of course this is not a CRT. ?????

a. Is it possible/likely that the electronics inside the display has conked out?
b. Is there some combination of keys that I accidentally hit that makes a screen go dark?
c. Any suggestions on what to try?

Desperately seeking guidance.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 9th, 2010 10:00

Take the PC out of the monitor troubleshooting equation.
* Turn the monitor off
* Disconnect all monitor cords from the computer
* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the rear of the monitor
* Press and hold the monitor power button in for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the rear of the monitor
* Turn the monitor on
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background. What do you see?

2 Posts

August 9th, 2010 11:00

Chris M: Thanks for your help. I followed your procedure but I do not get any dialog box (as you describe in your last bullet). My screen is  just black and dead.  Do I understand that I get some display even when unconnected to the computer? 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 9th, 2010 15:00

You should. It is defective.

1 Message

August 10th, 2010 15:00

I have the exact same problem today.  I have a E173FP and it "died"  but then came back when I reloaded the OS (we are clearing the computer for my son to have).  But now I can't install the monitor driver to fix the screen resolution.  There are no options to select another driver.  Have you tried re-installing the driver? 

No Events found!