Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2003 21:00

Momentary narrowing of video display

Just recently my monitor display has been narrowing slightly, and then jumping back to it's full size. This seems to occur most frequently when I'm on the web, but it has happened when offline. The entire cycle takes perhaps 1/2 a second. I have a Dimension 8200 with the standard 17" CRT monitor and the NVIDIA GeForce2 video card.

2.5K Posts

November 21st, 2003 13:00

Sounds like dirty power.  Can you tie the narrowing to a furnace, refrigerator, or other large appliance kicking on at the same time the screen narrows?  My old computer used to do that every time the electric garage door opener kicked on.  My computer and the opener were on the same curcuit.  I fixed it by adding a UPS to my system, replacing the cheap surge protector.

Dave

8 Posts

November 21st, 2003 15:00

It is possible, but just barely. It's connected to an APC Office 280. However, about a month ago the battery light was lit for a couple of days or so, but then went out. I should probably replace it, but just haven't yet. The distortion has become more of a flicker since last time, but just once it was a pincushion (I think it's called) distortion that lasted for a couple of minutes, and the narrowest portion traveled up the screen. I did a system restore, but it hasn't solved the problem.

2.5K Posts

November 24th, 2003 00:00

The only other suggestion I can think of is a weak connection in the power cord or video cable.  Try wiggling them and see if you can induce the flicker.

Dave

No Events found!