Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 7th, 2015 19:00

Monitor Disconnects/Powers Down USB Connections on Standby

I just purchased a U2415 from Dell. Great monitor, nice screen, very happy. However, last night I was transferring files from an external HDD plugged into the monitor's USB port. When I turned off the monitor to allow the transfer to occur in the background, it shut down the drive. My data was okay, but I found this a bit strange.

I looked through the OSD and noticed that the USB option in the "Energy" menu was inaccessible. I then found out (via the manual) that this option is only available when the upstream cable is disconnected.

Say what?

Let me get this straight. If there is NO upstream cable, and the USB ports are NOT connected to the computer, then the monitor will provide power to them on standby. However, when the USB ports ARE connected to the computer (you know, so you can do stuff with those ports), then the monitor completely disconnects those ports from both the computer AND power when in standby mode.

Is this really the default behavior? Is there ANY way to keep power going to my USB ports when in standby mode? What if I don't want my monitor on all day while I'm doing file transfers? What was the point of putting the ports there, if not for convenience?

I know it seems like I'm ranting here, and I kind of am, but I'm genuinely looking for some help with this one. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 8th, 2015 08:00

Is this really the default behavior?
* Yes.

Is there ANY way to keep power going to my USB ports when in standby mode?
* No.

If you turn the monitor off or standby, the USB hub is turned off. I would never use a monitor USB to transfer files. I would plug the USB HDD directly into the computer USB ports.

3 Posts

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply. Just curious -- what exactly are the monitor's USB ports intended to be used for? Why would there be an upstream cable included if you shouldn't be transferring data between the two? And why would the ports be USB 3.0?

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say "the solution is not to use the ports for something they were obviously built for." It's poor implementation, simple as that. My tower is nestled into my desk, I prefer not to have to reach under there every time I have to plug something in. But now I'll have to go buy a 5.25" USB hub for the front panel. Awesome.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

I do not use the monitor USB for the transfer of files to a USB drive. I plug my USB drive directly into the rear USB 3.0/2.0 ports on my Alienware Area 51-R2 desktop. I use the UP3216Q USB ports for my wireless mouse transmitter and keyboard only.

Agreed. It sounds counter-intuitive to me. Here is the User's Guide.

Page 6 = USB 3.0 Upstream Cable (Enables the USB Ports on the Monitor)

Page 9 = USB downstream port Connects your USB device. You can only use this
connector after you have connected the USB cable to the computer and USB upstream connector on the monitor

Page 11 =
USB upstream port Connect the USB cable that came with your monitor to the computer. Once this cable is connected, you can use the USB connectors on the monitor.
USB downstream port Connect your USB device. You can only use this connector after you have connected the USB cable to the computer and USB upstream connector on the
monitor

Page 23 = NOTE: The monitor's USB interface works only when the monitor is On or in the power save mode. If you turn Off the monitor and then turn it On, the attached peripherals may take a few seconds to resume normal functionality

But then page 44 for the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu USB states =
Allows you to enable or disable USB function during monitor standby mode.
NOTE: USB ON/OFF under standby mode is only available when the USB upstream cable is unplugged. This option will be grayed out when the USB upstream cable plugs in

So is "power save mode" and "standby mode" the same thing?

My take, if you want a seamless transfer of a large quantity of data from the computer to a USB hard drive, plug the USB hard drive directly into the computer USB port. Only use the monitor USB downstream ports for keyboard, mouse, and USB drive for a transfer of small quantity of data keeping the monitor awake.

3 Posts

April 8th, 2015 09:00

Hey Chris,

From my perspective, Dell messed this one up. I don't need to run a benchmark to see what the actual difference in speed would be (because it would be minimal). The point is they designed a product to do something and didn't think through the entire experience. Nowhere is there any warning, message, or note that the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the monitor should not be used for data transfers of any kind due to potential data loss or corruption when switching off the monitor.

There's no need to have any discussion beyond that point. The user experience stinks. Not for you, because you like to plug things into the back of your desktop, which is absolutely fine and your choice. But for me, and I'm certain for other users, who appreciate the "convenience" of having some USB ports front and center, but are unable to use them unless the screen is lighting up the room. Simple as that.

1 Message

March 8th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

I would like to followup on this discussion, as I also don't understand the idea behind and maybe there is a workaround. So what I do is a bit different: I have the monitor at home as well as in the office. When I leave the office Friday afternoon and disconnect my MacBook, I attach my keyboard and my mouse (both wireless) to be loaded via the Lightning USB cable. Coming back on Monday, I'm wondering, why both aren't loaded. So I now know why, but doesn't it make sense to change this behavior, or minimum have the extra port outside (with more power for loading devices) always powered? I have U2715H on both sites.

Regards,

Christian

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 8th, 2018 13:00

The U2715H has the same restrictions as the U2415. U2715H User's Guide.
Page 6 =
USB 3.0 Upstream Cable (Enables the USB Ports on the Monitor)

Page 8 =
USB downstream port Connects your USB device. You can only use this connector after you have connected the USB cable to the computer and USB upstream connector on the monitor

Page 10 =
USB upstream port Connect the USB cable that came with your monitor to the computer. Once this cable is connected, you can use the USB connectors on the monitor. USB downstream port Connect your USB device. You can only use this connector after you have connected the USB cable to the computer and USB upstream connector on the monitor

Page 21 =
NOTE: The monitor's USB interface works only when the monitor is On or in the power save mode. If you turn Off the monitor and then turn it On, the attached peripherals may take a few seconds to resume normal functionality

Page 41 =
USB Allows you to enable or disable USB function during monitor standby mode.
NOTE: USB on/off under standby mode is only available when the USB upstream cable is unplugged. This option will be grayed out when the USB upstream cable plugs in

Page 60 =
USB interface is not working. Some USB devices like external portable HDD require higher electric current; connect the device directly to the computer system

High Speed USB 3.0 interface is slow. Reconnect the upstream cable to your computer

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

July 7th, 2018 15:00

The monitor's USB ports are on when the USB upstream cable plugs in .

You have the choice to keep the USB ports on, even when the monitor is in standby mode. To toggle this setting in the OSD menu, the upstream cable has to be unplugged first. There is nothing more to understand.

Page 41 =
USB Allows you to enable or disable USB function during monitor standby mode.
NOTE: USB on/off under standby mode is only available when the USB upstream cable is unplugged. This option will be grayed out when the USB upstream cable plugs in>

The confusion about this setting arouse because the OSD menu option is only shown when the upstream cable is not plugged in. USB = "On During Standby" can be taken to mean that the USB ports can be used even without the upstream cable. Well, no, they can't.

Access to the OSD menu option is not supported while the USB ports are on. For technical reasons, the USB connection has to be off - only then can you toggle the option. It applies only to situations with an USB upstream connection between computer and monitor.

In summary:

1. USB ports can only be used when an USB upstream cable is connected.

2. During standby, the USB ports will stay on or turn off, depending on the OSB menu setting. To access this setting, the upstream cable has to be unplugged.

By the way, the charging capability works with and without the USB upstream connection.

(edited)

No Events found!