Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2009 16:00

Monitor Failure and Warranty Support Issues - Dell E228

I purchased a Dell E228 monitor from Micro Center in Fairfax, VA on October 3, 2008.  In the past week, it the monitor has begun to go black although the green on/standby light remains green.

When the monitor goes black, shining a flashlight on the screen reveals the images on the screen are still there.  I understand this is evidence of a malfunctioning backlight.  If I press the on/off button on the monitor and then turn the monitor back on, the screen image returns (for a while).

Does anybody know how to communicate with Dell regarding a warranty issue without a Service Tag number?

Although I have called the tech support number, I am unable to get past the Dell’s insistence for a Service Tag.  Although Dell sells individual components, your warranty service protocols do not seem to have any capacity to support those products.

The monitor is an E228WFP.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 14th, 2009 22:00

I need the following sent to me in a Private Conversation -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number (found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear):
Reason: E228 goes black

2 Posts

March 16th, 2009 20:00

I bought my E228WFPc on December 05,2008 it started acting up Saturday 03/15/09, by Sunday after 55 minutes it would go to black every 10 minutes with the power light staying green.  I bought this is a gift for the wife from Best Buy in Countryside, IL, I have not yet contacted Best Buy to see who handles these warranty issues.

Right now I am going to express disappointment with the after market support from Dell regarding "non computers" and the "magic entry number" in order to get answers.

I did not purchase the Extra Best Buy Lemon Insurance, figuring that I was safe with Dell as it is all I use in my work place, and the warranty period was sufficently long enough for the in home service use.

So what's the deal...........Best Buy or Dell and will I have to take a day off to sit on the phone, I have all the paper work cables cd and original packing, after all it was only three months ago.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 17th, 2009 06:00

KALANE,

All Dell products sold through Best Buy are supported by Dell. When it goes black, shine a flashlight onto the screen. Do you still see the windows desktop? I need the following information in a private message -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Monitor Order number:

2 Posts

March 24th, 2009 17:00

Did you get that info I sent "privately" ?

2 Posts

September 14th, 2009 17:00

I am having the same problem and I have tried sending you a PM. can you please help us?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 16th, 2009 09:00

Check your private conversations.

1 Message

February 9th, 2010 18:00

Hello, I have just read the post and I have the same problem with my monitor.  The white sticker on the back says CN-0X764G-64180-862-3STM-A02 Made in China DP/N 0X764G.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 10th, 2010 06:00

If the E228WFP is inside of warranty, Dell will simply exchange it for you.

If the E228WFP is outside of warranty, order this part to fix the "Goes to Black" issue. You can do the installation yourself or have a local repairman do the work.

5 Posts

March 5th, 2010 15:00

Thanks Chris.

1 Message

November 28th, 2011 19:00

Chris in his reply of 02-10-2010 8:41 AM referenced a part and a a web site. I have this problem. But the link does not work. Is there a way to still get that part? My monitor comes on for a few seconds, buzzes quietly and then goes black with the green monitor left on.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2012 19:00

I have the same issue on my E228WFPc monitor and took it out of service 12 months ago, blaming it on my Apple Mac mini being under-powered.  Is there anywhere to get parts to repair this myself?  

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 29th, 2012 09:00

EZ2C,

Dell does not repair monitors or sell internal monitor components. We do not even have monitor repair/disassembly documentation. We simply replace them while under warranty. You can try these 3rd party repair sites:

http://bit.ly/GYlTse Dell E228WFPC LCD Monitor Repair Kit
http://www.shopjimmy.com/dell-e228wfpc

http://www.lcdrepair.com/
http://www.ercservice.com/Express/monitor-repair.html
http://www.shopjimmy.com/dell

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 07:00

Hi Chris,

This weekend I replaced practically all the caps on the power board.  No change.  From the blogs I know this a known Power Save issue.  I have Rev A00 monitor which many had replaced under warranty.  What's the real solution?  Here's a chance to keep a Dell customer.

Thanks in advance.

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 08:00

I'm just asking Dell to do the right thing by its customer.  Please tell me what the problem was so I don't waste any more time fixing the wrong issue.  I'm willing to fix the defect.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 08:00

Are you asking me to step outside the confines of Dell policy? If yes, then I must refuse.

No Events found!