Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2012 13:00

Monitors Lost Background

Hello Community,

My U2410  and 2408WFD monitors suddenly lost the background (i.e., the screens went blank) for approximately 3 minutes. Although the 2408WFD monitor use to intermittently go blank with a single monitor setup, this is the first time both monitors went blank since I installed a new video card for a dual monitor setup. What could have caused this? Your insights are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BHN54 

1.1K Posts

December 21st, 2012 02:00

Hi BHN54,

Thank you for the reply. Please swap the power cable of both the monitors with the system tower's power cable. Once done, try to run the self test again. Also, U2410 monitor has a built-in diagnostics feature. I will recommend you to run it and let me know the results. Here is the link which has step by step instrutions to run diagnostics: http://dell.to/bnR2gK

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1.1K Posts

December 18th, 2012 22:00

Hi BHN54,

You may try performing a Self-Test on both the monitors seperately to check the monitor's functionality:

1. Turn off the monitor.
  2. Unplug all the cables from the monitor other than the power cable.
  3. The floating 'Dell - Self-Test Feature Check' dialog box should appear on-screen (against a black background) if the monitor cannot sense a video signal and is working correctly. While in self-test mode, the power LED remains green.

In case the self test pass, please share with which system have you connected both th monitors. Updating the latest video driver may fix the issue.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

24 Posts

December 19th, 2012 13:00

Vikram M.,

When I executed the steps you outlined to test each monitor individually, there wasn't any meaningful response by the monitors.  In other words, when I unplugged all cables except the power cables, the monitors' screens had a black background only; there was no floating 'Dell -  Self-Test Feature Check' dialog box on-screen nor did the power LED remained green.  The monitors are working fine now after that 3-minute glitch. Nevertheless, the graphic card that allows my dual monitor setup is the NVIDIA GeForce 620 GT.  I also checked the status of the card's driver, and Windows 7 indicated that the driver was up-to-date.

Is it possible that there is an external source of manipulation of the monitors? For example, between 9:50 pm and 10:00 pm, I noticed an intermittent popping sound surrounding the monitors on a desk that also holds an external broadband modem, a wireless router, a cordless telephone, and a transmitter for wireless headphones.  This occurs long after the monitors have been shut down for the evening (i.e., 4 hours after monitors' use). It sounds strange, but I feel that something or someone other than me can manipulate the monitors at will. I posted at question last week about experiencing warp image distortions on the primary monitor only when I watch a DVD, which is a recent occurrence.

Thanks for your reply.

BHN54

24 Posts

December 21st, 2012 08:00

Vikram,

I'll try these test and let you know.

BHN54

No Events found!