Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

December 10th, 2008 12:00

My new Dell 2408WFP monitor won't wake up.

Subject pretty much descriabes my issue.  I have a Dimension running Vista.  Computer is awake but I have to hard reboot to get the monitor going.  Pretty sure I've got latest drivers too.

???

20 Posts

February 19th, 2009 11:00

Sure sounds like it could be the culprit BUT heres an interesting note, I have Windows 7 beta installed and the monitor works perfectly!

February 20th, 2009 12:00

The more I look into it, the more it seems like it is only the fault of the graphics adaptor, I've used that same monitor on 3 other computers (with different graphics adapters) and never encountered that same problem.  They were all nvidia adapters.  For some reason the action of the monitor being powered off signals a sleep state to the graphics card.  The problem seems to be that the power on event is not properly interpreted by the graphics card.  The rest of my postings should really go to the ATI or Radeon forum, if there is one.

20 Posts

February 20th, 2009 12:00

What older inexpensive video card should i get for my dell pc?

2 Posts

March 24th, 2009 15:00

Hi,

I have the same problem, with the 2408wfp.

I was connected with the DVI with my NVIDIA 9800 GX2 card, my OS is Vista 64.

It didn’t work with the same problems you described (after several seconds after boot the screen enters power save mode).

I have another LG LCD unit which worked just fine with the DVI.

Finally I connected my card using the HDMI input, at first it didn’t work. I than connected the Dell with HDMI the LG with DVI, the LG showed the image and the Dell didn’t.

I than disconnected the LG DVI cable, I heard a blip from the PC and the Dell started showing a stable image!?!?!

It looks like the Dell has some problems with the DVI input????

Does anyone from Dell has an explanation for the problem and the work around?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 26th, 2009 13:00

All,

If your 2408WFP is an A00 revision, get it replaced. The later revs changed the delay setting from 150ms to 250ms which should fix your wake up issue with older video cards.

20 Posts

March 26th, 2009 15:00

The Dell tech guy tells me this is not my issue.  Mine is a video card issue.?

1 Message

April 10th, 2009 15:00

How do I tell if my 2408WFP is an A00 revision?  I'm having the same problem. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 17th, 2009 07:00

Is there a label on the back with Axx on it?

10 Posts

April 17th, 2009 07:00

On a related note, we're going through the same thing with a new PC (custom built, non-Dell PC) that has a Dell 2407WFP attached.  Vista 32-bit OS, GeForce GTX285 video card, all component drivers (etc.) updated at the time of the build (about a month ago).  For short sleep periods, there seems to be no problem.  For extended sleep periods of several hours (although I'm not sure how long it takes for the glitch to occur), the PC will wake up but we get no response from the monitor.  A reboot is required to get the PC and monitor speaking on each other again. 

We also have another new PC, built at the same time as the first one, but running Vista 64-bit and a Dell 3008WPF monitor.  There is no problem with this combination in sleep mode.  The system, including monitor, wakes up correctly after any sleep period. 

11 Posts

June 21st, 2009 10:00

I have just purchased five 2408WFP monitors and two Precision T7500 computers.  One T7500 is running Vista Ultimate and the other Ubuntu Jaunty.  Both computers have the issue discussed in this thread, once the monitors go to sleep they will not wake up unless we switch the monitor off and back on.

The fact that both Ubuntu and Vista have an identical problem would seem to eliminate the software as the cause of the problem.

We need to leave the computers running but do not want to pay for electricity to run five 24 inch monitors 24x7.  Nor are we excited about having to cycle the power of 5 monitors each time we resume work.

Dell ... where are you solving this problem?  These are Dell's best quality and most expensive workstations and monitors, I would expect them to be reliable.

BTW I checked and the monitors are all Rev A01.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 21st, 2009 12:00

If you only have monitor order numbers, you should contact Customer Service. They should setup NEW exchanges for those monitors. The only way to get A02 is through a NEW exchange. They will need the following -

Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order numbers:
Monitor 20 digit PPID numbers found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: 2408WFP monitors will not wake up. This is a known issue with A01. Resolved with revision A02.

11 Posts

June 21st, 2009 14:00

Thank you very much for this informative reply. These monitors are brand new and I have paid for on site service so I shall contact my Dell rep and ask him to arrange for a technician to come to my home to replace the defective units.

Just out of curiosity, what was the release date of A02?

Steve

11 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 07:00

They are trying to send me second hand replacements even though I contacted them within 7 days of the purchase.  That is obviously not acceptable.

UPDATE (2009-06-22 02:49PM UTC)

I just received an email from my sales guy (Syed Mohiuddin) assuring me that all five monitors will be replaced with NEW units at rev A02.  That is more like the Dell I have learned to trust over the years.  I am not sure why tech support was so unethical.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 07:00

Dell onsite technicians do not replace (box up) monitors. They only work on internal PC components. Not sure of the release date.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 25th, 2009 10:00

What video cards?

No Events found!