Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2015 15:00

Need help in connecting Dell Monitor to Dell Inspiron

I recently purchased an Inspiron 17R laptop to reduce the high usage of my Precision M6600 laptop. A Dell U2312HM monitor was used with the Precision as a second monitor and I want to use it with the newly acquired Inspiron system as a second monitor. The video ports differ on both of these computers and I have not been successful in getting the monitor to work with the Inspiron. While the Precision uses an older VGA connection, the newer Inspiron uses an HDMI connection. To further complicate the issue, the monitor has several ports for connecting to a video output source which includes VGA, DisplayPort, DVI and ports for upstream and downstream USB connections, but not including HDMI. I used a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable in attempting to connect the Inspiron to the monitor but could not produce a picture on the monitor screen. This monitor continues to respond correctly when attached to the Precision via the VGA cable & port so I'm confused as to why I've had no luck in tying the monitor to the new system with the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. How can the Inspiron 17R be successfully connected to the Dell U2312HM monitor?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 2nd, 2015 18:00

Computer HDMI out cannot upconvert to a monitor DP (DisplayPort) in using a straight cable.
What you bought is designed to do the opposite =
Computer DP out to monitor HDMI in

Regardless of port, you will only ever get 1920x1080 on the U2313HM. Return that cable. Purchase an HDMI to DVI cable =
Computer HDMI out --> HDMI to DVI cable --> U2313HM DVI in

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 23:00

Chris,

Thanks for the informative response.  I had already contacted the supplier to initiate the return and now I know what to buy.  I just wonder why the monitor and computer are so hard to tie together, the fact that they are both Dell brands is particularly puzzling.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 4th, 2015 07:00

The sales tool does not know what video card the computer has or what video out ports it has. It is up to the buyer to know this and check the monitor video in specifications before buying.

No Events found!