Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 20th, 2003 20:00

Need help with DVI & LCD Viewsonic VX2000 20.1 Inch!

Hi all,

Just received a new Viewsonic 20.1 VX2000 from Dell and I was so happy to set it up and getting ready to fire up the monitor.  Got all my cables plugged (DVI & power) in accordingly and fired up the system.

Unfortunately, all I have seen are red lines and distortion and so on - basically looks like a bad LCD.  So, I thought I tried it on a different system with the available DVI connections and the result is the same.  However, when I use the analog cable it displayed perfectly - however there's a dead pixel near the center of the screen.

Now, I'm hoping for the best that it is not the LCD or the DVI connector on the monitor that is bad.  I'm trying everything that I can think of to troubleshoot this monitor or isolate the problem.  I will also go out and buy a new DVI cable just to make sure.

Questions:

1.  Has anyone experienced this kind of problems?

2.  What else can be done?

3.  What's the difficulty of getting one exchanged through Dell?

Thank you for your help,

Kenny

2 Intern

• 

720 Posts

November 21st, 2003 04:00

Not difficult to get it exchanged....just make a sufficient amount of noise. You might call Dell first and have them take you through some trouble shooting steps.

2 Intern

• 

720 Posts

November 21st, 2003 16:00

Just curious, SeroKool- did you ever try a different cable? There are several things places where your problem could originate: cable, monitor, video card, etc. I hope the new monitor solves the problem.

Rob

4 Posts

November 21st, 2003 16:00

Thanks Robnalex!

After 3 hours on the phone with Customer Services/Tech Support/etc. I finally got a hold of someone that can process my replacement.  I think I just broke my previous record for being on the phone for this long.

Anyway, appreciated your response to my post.

By the way - after searching around web, I noticed the DVI-D with duel mode cables works better with LCD Flat Panels, because it has the higher transfer rate up to 9Ghz and support resolutions at 2K x 1k (don't remember the exact number).

The DVI-D single mode has 4.5Ghz (or 4.7Ghz not sure) and support resolutions at 1600 x 1200.

2 Intern

• 

720 Posts

November 25th, 2003 22:00

Congratulations! Sorry getting there was such a hassle.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2003 22:00

Thanks Robnalex!

I got the replacement LCD and it works great!  However, now I have to deal with exchange going back since they did not include instruction or the pre-paid waybill for me to ship it back.   However, I took the liberty to ship it back to Dell.  Hopefully there's no mix up on this, crossing my fingers on this.  :D

BTW, nice systems that you have there!

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

November 29th, 2003 04:00

i also read a thread once that a guy had a dead pixel smack in the middle of the screen. it was enormously driving him crazy. i think lcd,s should be replaced if dead pixels are in the middle, no questions asked. my 2 cents worth

4 Posts

December 1st, 2003 19:00

Hi Ronss,

Thanks for your response! I think you are absolutely right about that.  I really couldn't stand dead pixel where I can notice right when I turn it on.  Fortunately, the replacement I got was in near perfect condition (no dead pixels).  However, only the power button was a little off (lose or some sort) when turning on/off.  I have to press it carefully to hit the right spot.

Anyway, I can live with that minor problem - hopefully it won't become a big problem.  Hehehehe! 

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and opinions. :)

SK

No Events found!