Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2009 18:00

New 2408wfp Power Save Mode problem..

Just received a brand new monitor, rev 02. Immediately ran into the power save mode issue - the monitor doesn't want to wake up. 

I am using an Dell XPS 400, with ATI x600 graphics adapter on Windows Media Center Edition. 

After searching the community, I was able to get the problem to disappear by upgrading my Catalyst Control Center to version 8.6 and unchecking the DVI related options. I tried version 9.3.1 as well, but that caused power save issues to return. Ofcourse, I don't know if I'm missing any display goodness by not using the latest driver. 

I guess at this point, I can just assume that this is the best it can get, or think about returning it in the hope of buying the new u2410. I saw Chris in support discuss the use of a new DVI cable, has that worked for anyone?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 28th, 2009 20:00

Were those in the Information Center?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

I doubt it would make a difference with that older video card. What DVI options did you uncheck in the CCC?

6 Posts

Two DVI Settings:

1) Reduce DVI Frequence on high-resolution displays

2) Alternate DVI operational mode

I do think that the image quality, especially text, is a bit smoother with 9.3.1.. 

I also see some pinkish halo around black text in this forum on certain characters - say "[" .. seems like the problem afflicts special characters only !!!

I doubt it would make a difference with that older video card. What DVI options did you uncheck in the CCC?

6 Posts

August 28th, 2009 21:00

They are in the Control Center: Graphics Settings -> Digital Panel (DVI) 4 -> Attributes-> DVI Settings.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2009 12:00

The Power Save Mode is back!! This is extremely bizarre. After working fine for a couple of days, the monitor has started going back into the Power Save Mode.. I thought that the 8.6 CCC had fixed it, but I spoke to early I suppose!

Chris, any ideas? Should I take the trouble to check with tech support/customer care to find a fix/replace the monitor or should I simply deal with this?

3 Posts

September 15th, 2009 12:00

I just came from the Dell web site where there is            ONE         review on the 2408WFP, date 9/9/09. Anonymous from Madison Wi says:

"My organization has three of these monitors. Two have been replaced due to defect and the third is starting to exhibit the same symptoms of the other two.
When it works, it's a great monitor! Lots of flexibility on the inputs, beautiful display. Perhaps trying to be everything to everyone has hurt the quality of this product.
When it doesn't work, it enters power save and won't wake."

I was ready to buy after a looooooong review of like models but unless I get some kind of explanation.... Also, As I remember... Amazon doesn't have any reviews either?

Curious. . . . .

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 16th, 2009 09:00

They are not going to know anything we haven't already tried. I guess get it exchanged.

10 Posts

September 16th, 2009 12:00

I just order one Latitude E4300, Windows XP Pro, Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and two 2408WFP.  One monitor has this issue and the other don't.  I think this should be a monitor hardware issue.  Change DVI cable will not solve the problem.  Just get the replacement and will post result when I have it tested out.

10 Posts

October 1st, 2009 08:00

I just order one Latitude E4300, Windows XP Pro, Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and two 2408WFP.  One monitor has this issue and the other don't.  I think this should be a monitor hardware issue.  Change DVI cable will not solve the problem.  Just get the replacement and will post result when I have it tested out.

I did my testing on four 2408WFP monitor with 2 laptop ( DELL latitude E4300 and E5500, both has Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD).  The laptop is connect thought a DELL E-port docking ststion.  Out of those four monitors, only one has this problem. 

Get it exchanged, before it is too late!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 1st, 2009 15:00

I can extract alot of data from your post. What I need are the following sent to me in a Private Conversation to put in unified excel document which I will send to Displays engineering:
Dell PC Service Tag number or Retail PC
Monitor Order number
Video card
Video card driver version (Dell or Retail)
Dell or Retail video card
Operating system
How many monitor exchanges have you already received and what were those dispatch numbers?

No Events found!