Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2016 06:00

New P2715Q Problem - Disrupting the Network Connection!?

Hey Dell Support,

Just bought a brand new P2715Q 4K Monitor. When I connect it to my Surface Pro 4 with the Mini DisplayPort Cable that comes in the box there is a problem - my network connection either drops off completely or just becomes unusable (I am having one successful package(ping) from 50). When I start moving the cable and push it harder into the Surface Pro 4 mDP then it starts working and the Wi-Fi is back, no lost packages. 

My questions to you are: Why is that the case with such high premium monitor? Is it just the cable that's problematic? Who should I contact and ask for a replacement (for the cable) - where I bought it from, you or the official seller in my country (Bulgaria) and last, but not at least - why is the display cable involved in the network connection at all? 

Looking forward to hearing from you quickly. I am not happy at all from what's going on... 

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 13th, 2016 18:00

This is the first report I have seen of this issue. We do not have this issue with our two Surface Pro in the lab. You will need to first ensure that the P2715Q is in your name, address, etc. using the form. Then, contact Dell Support for your country and ask them to dispatch another mDP to DP cable. A quicker solution would be to purchase one locally. You also might ask the users on the Surface Forum if they have seen the issue.

February 14th, 2016 04:00

I already did that. You can see the 2 threads on Monitors and you will see my comments there.

I will go and check with the guys where I bought the monitor from. I would ask them to drive this cable issue with the DELL in Bulgaria because I don't have the time and at the same time it's crazy frustrating. I mean... crazy frustrating. You buy such a monitor for being productive and you end up moving and shaking the cable for 10 minutes until the ping gets constant!?

February 17th, 2016 03:00

Just got another Mini Display Port Cable to Display Port - not working again. The network is still disrupted. It goes from a very high number of ms of the ping to request time outs and to, at the end, dropping from the network.

I now got HDMI to HDMI. Will connect the display to a machine (windows 10 again) that has HDMI and will check there. Will probably be able to test with MB Pro with Display Port too.

Strange part is - why when I am using those converters from Mini Display Port to VGA / HDMI (the ones on the MSFT store) and plug a VGA monitor to those, the Surface has no problems what so ever... The monitor that I plug into the VGA is an old Acer V223W!?

February 17th, 2016 13:00

OK. Found some pretty interesting things. 

Test with HDMI cable. 2 tests - HDMI to HDMI to another machine - no problems. Mini Display Port connector from MSFT to HDMI and from there HDMI to the screen - no problems. However, no 4k too.

Then if I plug the Mini Display Port to the Surface Pro 4 (i5) I immediately get the problems - wifi drops. Disconnected everything and removed everything around the screen - still problems. And then...

Went to the menu and moved that setting MST (now I learned what it is) to Secondary ->  How to solve DP/Mini DP No Video/ Wrong resolution Issue with DELL P2715Q/P2415Q Flat Panel Monitor | Dell US

The Results: Wi-Fi is back. BUT, I don't get 60Hz! 

Now, from I understood from the article, Intel Graphics 520 is DP1.2 Certified and so it should be supporting 60Hz 4K. Problem is, when I switch MST to Disabled and thus force 60Hz the problem reappears immediately!?

Question! - isn't that some type of nasty driver problem / software issue and who's fault it is. Is it Intel or is it Dell? 

Quick note - I am with .4326 Intel driver. Still don't know if I should update to the new one or wait for MSFT to release it through Update.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 17th, 2016 21:00

You should post those findings on the Surface Forum to see if other users can replicate the issue. I would also test the new Intel driver.

February 17th, 2016 21:00

So you believe is a driver problem?

I have already started a discussion that I am updating with the same info in the surfaceforum

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 18th, 2016 05:00

Sounds that way to me.

No Events found!