Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 25th, 2018 15:00

P1913, Sony flip laptop, Windows 10 Home, not working

Gentlemen/ Ladies,

Need a little help here: I have a Dell monitor P1913 that I cannot make it work with my Sony Flip laptop. I  downloaded the driver, it says my laptop can detect the monitor, but installation pops up says no driver was installed!

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2954pwh.jpg[/IMG]

According to driver/support page-Dell only has drivers for windows and windows 8, not windows 10)

When plugged with sony laptop , the monitor screen pops up a little floating says cannot detect VGA, but I tried using auto detect and firewire output select, does not help. 

I clicked on the device manager, seems my laptop CANNOT detect the dell monitor, strange! Display section of Windows also cannot detect the Dell as external monitor. 

I am using the HDMI output of my Sony laptop connecting to the Dell monitor, the connecting cable is HDMI on 1 end and Firewire the other end, because my Sony laptop does not have VGA output, only USB ports, HDMI output. 

Here are some info: 

Sony Flip laptop model: SVF15N25CXS original OS was windows 8.1 64 bits, now running windows 10 home 64 bits.

When I just tried using the HDMI cable connecting to my TV, just plug in and no problem. So I don't think it's my laptop. 

I tried using the Dell monitor connected to another my computer running windows 7, with VGA cable, no problem. 

I tested HDMI/ Firewaire cable with another monitor, no problem. 

The only I can think of, it's windows 10 and drivers-windows 8.1 problem , any suggestions that I can make the dell monitor works with my sony laptop? 

Thank you in advance !

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 26th, 2018 06:00

Correct, the P1913 was never validated for Windows 10. So no driver. Windows 10 would install a generic PNP driver. I have never heard of "HDMI to Firewire cable". In theory, this is how I would connect it =

Sony SVF15N25CXS HDMI out port --> HDMI to DVI cable --> P1913 DVI in port

But even then, without a dedicated Windows 10 P1913 driver, it may not work properly.

2 Posts

April 26th, 2018 13:00

Hello Chris M, 

Thanks for yr reply. 

Oooh....I am sorry, it's DP cable, one that looks like fw --also has one of the corner cut-off,...

Let me try,...thanks, 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 27th, 2018 05:00

OK. A laptop HDMI out port cannot upconvert to a monitor DP in port via a straight cable. The cable you have is designed to do the opposite =
Laptop DP out port --> DP to HDMI cable --> Monitor HDMI in port

No Events found!