Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2016 10:00

P2213 - display is turning on and off and on and off and on and off....

I have two external monitors (both received at the same time, both he same model).  I got them in 2014 and had them connect to the dock my laptop is connected to.  Friday I received a new laptop that upgraded me from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Everything worked fine. Until this morning when I powered up.  One of the monitors is repeatedly going black and then back to my desktop.  All the cords are plugged in, I performed diagnostics (pushing & holding buttons 1 & 4).  Updated drivers.  Nothing works.  I can't reset the monitor as the display keeps turning off and I can't choose factor reset or anything in  the menu.  Any other options or is this thing just toast?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 10th, 2016 10:00

* Turn the monitors off
* Disconnect the problem monitor power cable and all other cables from the rear/bottom/side of the monitor
* If a mechanical monitor power button, press the button in for 30 seconds (clears any residual power in the circuits). If not a mechanical power button, just wait for 30 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor and its cabling to the dock
* Remove the Windows 10 laptop from the dock
* Replace it with the older Windows 7 laptop
* Turn both monitors on
* Turn the laptop on. Do both monitors work?

August 10th, 2016 12:00

After posting my other monitor turned off and wouldn't come back on.  So I had no choice but to force shut down on my laptop.  I don't have access to the old Windows 7 laptop so that won't work as a fix.  I had already disconnected the problem monitor and reconnected and that didn't work.  However, the force shut down seems to have worked (for now).

August 12th, 2016 09:00

I had one whole day of no problems and now the monitor is back to switching to black again.  Any other suggestions as the above didn't work.

August 12th, 2016 15:00

The second time no.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 12th, 2016 15:00

In that time, did the computer operating system perform any updates?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 12th, 2016 18:00

If still inside the 3 year warranty period, you may initiate a monitor exchange. Test the replacement before sending any monitor back to Dell. If the replacement monitor does not have the issue, keep it and send us the original monitor. If the replacement monitor has the same issue, I doubt that they both could be defective. Send the replacement monitor back to Dell. Look to the cabling, video card drivers, or video card as the culprit.

No Events found!