Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2012 07:00

P2311H, input timing is not supported

I've seen a few people with this same problem but have yet to find a solution that makes sense.  Really hoping someone has figured this out.

I just bought two new Dell P2311H monitors.  The recommended resolution for both monitors is 1920x1080@60Hz.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit OS and my laptop has one VGA output and one HDMI output.  In order to run dual monitors, I have to run a VGA from the laptop to my first monitor and then an HDMI with a DVI converter to the second monitor.  I was running this just fine with my ViewSonic monitors for over a year with no problems.  I also made sure that I had the latest drivers from my NVIDIA graphics card.  I set the resolution for both monitors to 1920x1080@60Hz which Windows shows as the recommended setting for both.

The problem: The monitor connected via VGA is working perfectly all the time.  The monitor connected via HDMI-DVI is working intermittently. Sometimes it will work fine for hours.  Other times it will immediately black out for a short period, then flash back on for a while, and then black out again.  When it blacks out, I get the following error message:  "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.  Please change your input timing to 1920x1080@60Hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications." 

I even tried reducing the resolution and I'm still getting the intermittent black out.  Hopefully this is enough information for someone to point me in the right direction.  As I said, this set up worked perfectly fine for over a year with the exact same laptop but different (19") ViewSonic monitors.

Thanks,
Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 31st, 2012 11:00

What Dell PC? What specific video card? Please swap the displays. If the second monitor continues to receive the same message, the notebook or dongle is to blame. Both monitors cannot be bad. If the second display works fine, then issue resolved and there may be some form of compatibility issue between system, dongle and display.

No Events found!