Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 14:00

P2314H (new) has BGR subpixel order

Hi folks, I just bought a P2314H and connected it to my Mac. After applying a hack on the Mac to force RGB color space (an OSX issue with many monitors), everything looked great, except the fonts. They are all blurry and funky. Sure enough, this monitor has BGR sub pixel order instead of RGB (see picture). If I tell OS X to rotate 180 degrees, fonts are crisp, but of course now everything is upside-down! I'm a bit annoyed because I got a great deal on it and LOVE the quality, especially for the price. The nonstandard stripe order will also cause problems for Windows users with a mix of monitors, too, because ClearType can only be optimized for one stripe order at a time across the entire computer. I rotated the snap-on bracket 180 degrees and am currently using it that way, with the OS set to rotate 180, and text is MUCH better (see pictures). The OSD cannot be set to flip but it can be set to rotate, so I have it rotated for easier adjustment. Does the P2414H share this same issue?

Standard monitor orientation: BGR order

Text with monitor upside-down (RGB)

My setup:

February 4th, 2014 17:00

Good luck and keep us posted!

9 Posts

February 4th, 2014 17:00

I just saw the review, too bad he did not mention the manufacturing date and the revision.

I just got the ETA on the monitors, ones coming on Feb 13th, the other on the 28th. I'm praying for them to be issues free, hopefully they are.

February 5th, 2014 20:00

I called Dell warranty service to request an exchange, however, the 10th or 11th agent I talked to, the Indian technician has no idea what subpixel rendering is, and it was a complete joke.

Frustrated, I decided not to bother anymore. Sometime in the year I will just sell the monitor and get a new one.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2014 06:00

I called Dell warranty service to request an exchange, however, the 10th or 11th agent I talked to, the Indian technician has no idea what subpixel rendering is, and it was a complete joke.

Frustrated, I decided not to bother anymore. Sometime in the year I will just sell the monitor and get a new one.

Is yours BGR or RGB? Also, may we know whats the reason you wanted it replaced?

1 Message

February 10th, 2014 00:00

FYI I ordered 3 P2214H screens hoping to avoid this problem, but they have the same pixel issue than the P2314H, so the text appears blurry on macOS :'(

February 10th, 2014 05:00

FYI I ordered 3 P2214H screens hoping to avoid this problem, but they have the same pixel issue than the P2314H, so the text appears blurry on macOS :'(

Wow.  I almost ordered the P2214H after returning the P2314H and now am glad I didn't.  Did you verify it with an up-close camera shot?  If you haven't already done so, post reviews on Amazon and Newegg to save others from the hassle.

February 10th, 2014 07:00

Mine is BGR.

I hope there's RGB variants and get a replacement.

February 11th, 2014 08:00

Great news guys, I got the first of two additional monitors i ordered. Its RGB. No typos there, RGB, and so far colors are the same as my old one. Now im waiting for the last P2314H to arrive. Hopefully it too is RGB.

My old one is REV00 Jun 2013.

And the one that arrived it REV00 Nov 2013.

That's terrific.  So, clearly Dell is using multiple panels in their production.  Now if only somebody from Dell would give some information on how to obtain one versus the other.

The lack of response from Dell speaks volumes.

9 Posts

February 11th, 2014 08:00

Great news guys, I got the first of two additional monitors i ordered. Its RGB. No typos there, RGB, and so far colors are the same as my old one. Now im waiting for the last P2314H to arrive. Hopefully it too is RGB.

My old one is REV00 Jun 2013.

And the one that arrived it REV00 Nov 2013.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 11th, 2014 11:00

"on how to obtain one versus the other"
To me, that is asking how to order or exchange to a specific panel or revision.

Even if I had that data, I could not provide it because it is Dell confidential data. Now, if all of you were to compare your PPID serial numbers for BGR and RGB, you could draw your own conclusions.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

That is not possible. When a monitor exchange is setup, we cannot choose the revision or panel. You simply get the next one in the queue.

That is not possible. When a monitor exchange is setup, we cannot choose the revision or panel. You simply get the next one in the queue.

Come on Chris, that's not what I said.  I said it would be helpful if Dell provided INFORMATION.  For example, if the panel type is identified somehow in the serial number, or by the sub-vendor, or in the product number.  Vendors and buyers can use this information.  Has nothing to do with exchanges through Dell.

So far, the only information has been "We are investigating" and that was quite a while ago.  While we appreciate your initiative in raising this issue to Dell, the folks at Dell know exactly what's going on and are being opaque about it. Potential customers are thirsty for information that is easy to obtain but is being withheld.  Therein lies the frustration.  The panel in a particular monitor now has compatibility implications because it's oriented in reverse in some units.  Surely there is a way to identify such units without tearing the box open.

March 1st, 2014 04:00

Hi, just received 2 of these - both BGR, will get one more after few days. i know that clear type can fix this, but how about games? does it affect anything else besides text?

1 Message

March 1st, 2014 16:00

Hi, got a P2314H with BGR subpixel layout today:

S/N: CN-0J8J31-74445-3BI-649S
REV A00
Nov 2013

@tgds.pcrs.poh:
Thank you for raising the issue here.

March 7th, 2014 00:00

so, few days ago, received another monitor and this one is RGB. The other two - BGR. dont really understand why it is happening. when manufacturing, did someone flipped the matrixses? :D

the will be connected to windows so just adjusted cleartype and that's it. but still, does anyone know if LED layout affect anything else besides text? anti-aliasing maybe?

No Events found!