Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2019 09:00

P2418D, irritating Power Save Mode popups

Screen-plus-Keyboard.jpg

I just purchased a P2418D monitor from Dell store.

It does a really irritating thing.  Every time my computer is idle, and Windows Power Mgmt puts the monitor to sleep, here's the sequence of events:

1. the monitor backlight turns off  (good)
  2. a few seconds later, the backlight turns back on  (bad)
  3. a diagnostic popup appears saying scanning for signal  (bad)
  4. another follows saying no signal  (bad)
  5. then a third appears saying it's going to Power-Save mode  (duh)
  6. the power-button LED begins flashing  (which is disabled in OSD menu option)  (grrr)
  7. the backlight turns back off, again and finally.

Sheesh.  This is so irritating.

As a comparison, I also have a pretty new HP monitor.  It doesn't do this nonsense.  When Windows puts it to sleep, it goes black.  End of story.  And the power-button LED stays off.

Dell Tech Support tells me my monitor is faulty.  I'm in the process of exchanging it.  But from what I just read in another thread here, the power-button LED issue is by design.  It just turns back on and flashes, despite the OSD setting to disable it.  So I expect the whole annoying sequence above is by design too.

Any advice before I end up RMAing this monitor for refund?

Entering-Power-Save_mode-40pct.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 19:00

Searching through this forum, I've found a number of inquiries about these "by design" standby bugs.

Here's another complaint about the power-button LED, from just a couple weeks ago.

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/S2719DGF-standby-LED-design/m-p/7250827

I tried to +1 kudos the final post, but couldn't.  It's locked.
Maybe I can ask you to vote it up for me please, Chris.

Anyway, I'd like to share my solution with you.  I shipped the monitor back for refund.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 16th, 2019 14:00

The "Menu- Personalize- Power Button LED" off state ONLY applies if the PC is on.

If the PC is on/active, open the Menu- Personalize- Power Button LED. Change to off During Active, page 42. The Power Button LED should turn off.

If the PC is off/inactive, the only way the P2418D power button LED will turn off is when you press the power button to actually turn the P2418D off. Otherwise it will blink, page 34.

In your scenario, the PC is on/active and the operating system tries to sleep the P2418D. The User's Guide does not spell out how the P2418D will act in that hybrid state.

On all of my Dell monitors (UP3216Q, U3415W, U3415W, D3218HN), I do not allow Microsoft to control them. When not in use, I simply turn them off via the monitor power button.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 17th, 2019 00:00

Power-LED.png

On page 41 of the user manual, it says

Power Button LED
Allows you to set the power LED indicator On or Off when the monitor is active to save energy.

So, when the monitor is inactive aka Power Save Mode, it is Dell's intent that we should not save energy.

Here it is, 2019.  I just purchased a P2418D.  It has this exact same bug. I guess Dell still does not have enough  money and engineering time  to fix this bug. I will RMA this monitor for refund, and wait until they do.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris, I'm sure you recognize the copy+paste above.  I posted it in the 2017 U2718Q thread just prior to starting this new thread.  That thread got locked within minutes of my posting.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 17th, 2019 02:00

DELL-FUNNY.png

Regarding the InfinityEdge sticky thread.

It was stated there that the shadow smudge effect occurs only when the Windows TaskBar is absent.  That is not accurate.  It appears whenever viewing the monitor at a sharp angle.

But this is a separate issue.

For me, the edge shadows are not a show-stopper issue.

The obtrusive popups and flashing LED are.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 08:00

chrome-logo-reflection--32pct.jpg

I'm sure I closely checked the DELL logo on the P2418D that I RMA'd a couple months ago.
The logo on that bezel was matte.
To be sure, I just asked about it on amazon.com.  Others there state their monitor's logo is matte.

But the new P2418D I just received, it has a chrome DELL logo.  Like a mirror.
Yikes.  It reflects every movement of my hands on the keyboard.

I see Dell recently found enough  money and engineering time  to modify their logo.
Instead of the firmware.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 28th, 2019 13:00

img_20190528_150424362--25pct.jpg

img_20190528_145455261--25pct.jpg

img_20190528_152925501--25pct.jpg

I think these will be my final thoughts about this P2418D.

There is a golden glow that travels with my view, no matter where I position myself.  It really bugs me.

The photos above are extremely exaggerated.  I put my smartphone camera in fluorescent white-balance mode to take them.  (or maybe that WB symbol means halogen lighting).  Yes, the screen is set to a cool temperature, but not blue like that.  OSD Red=95, Green=99, Blue=100.  The reason I set it cool is to reduce that objectionable traveling golden glow.

Edit.  I just changed it to OSD Red=94, Green=98, Blue=100.  Much less disagreeable.  Gosh this thing is touchy.

You can also see a hint of that golden glow in my previous post's logo picture.  (click it to view full-size).  Top-dead-center in the blue Windows Desktop.  That photo was taken in normal (auto) white-balance mode.

There is a fairly recent review on amazon.com complaining apparently about this very thing.

Edit again.  I've now taken the opposite approach, and warmed the screen instead.  OSD Red=80, Green=79, Blue=76.  This also serves to dim the screen.  The green glow is still present, maybe even more so.  But it now agrees more with the resulting warmth of the screen.  So at least, my eyes are no longer obsessing over it.

I just don't get it.  I have a 10 year old 16:10 monitor, 117 dpi, which is better than any of 5 brand monitors I've tested in these past two months.  I don't have any more time to waste on this, I need to move on.  I'm just going to keep this P2418D and forever be displeased with it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2019 13:00

This monitor is making me nauseous, browsing and text editing.

With white backgrounds, the top,right,bottom,left are warmer than the center of the screen.  The longer you gaze at it, the more you notice it.  Compared to the center, those outer zones each have separate golden coral hues.  You can't help but balk when you scroll text up through the top 25% warm zone.  The bottom's like that too.  And even in the center, depending on viewing distance, I keep seeing green splotchy haze around black text.

The really odd thing is, it seems like this monitor has some sort of dynamic contrast electronics that adjusts regions separately.  So, when I just bring up a full white screen, it doesn't seem that bad at all.  Yet, when I flip back to this very forum post I'm editing right here, right now, my eyes will not stop obsessing.  Ugh.

This quality is all that's in production.  We're not going to find a P2418D (or even U2518D) that's any better.  They're all coming off the conveyor belt with that yellow bottom-left LED and golden green glow.

I still have a few days left in the Dell return window.  I lost 2 weeks of it, exchanging that previous P2418D which had a permanent red line in the panel.  Take it or leave it.  That's all that can be said at this point.

What a drag.

No Events found!