Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

October 15th, 2020 05:00

P2715Q DP out port daisy chain to SE2416H HDMI in?

I have the Dell 4K monitor P2715Q , which has a DP Out port. 

I've got a DP to HDMI cable which is running into my Dell SE2416H HDMI in port, but nothing it's not detecting. 

What needs to happen here? Is the SE2416H possibly not capable of this?

Thanks,

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 15th, 2020 06:00

The P2715Q DP out port is designed to go to a secondary monitor DP in port or mDP in port. Notice in the online P2715Q User's Guide it states, "DP 1.1 monitor can only be connected as the last monitor in the MST chain.". The inference there is that the secondary monitor is using its DP in port.

Page 24 further clarifies this. Note, HDMI is not shown =

Capture.JPG

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2020 06:00

@harolddurnez  If you want to this only for the last display in the chain, you can get an ACTIVE DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to achieve what you want. This works because in that case the DisplayPort output can still send a native DisplayPort signal and the adapter is performing the HDMI signal conversion rather than a typical passive adapter/cable that relies on the DisplayPort source sending a native HDMI signal. Here is an example of what you need: Plugable Active DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - Connect Any DisplayPort-Enabled PC or Tablet to an HDMI Enabled Monitor, TV or Projector for Ultra-HD Video Streaming (HDMI 2.0 up to 4K 3840x2160 @60Hz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0C7QO8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_klAIFbJ5NFAWN

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 16th, 2020 07:00

He would still have to set P2715Q MST to Primary to utilize the P2715Q DP out port, correct?

P2715Q DP out port --> Active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> SE2416H HDMI in port

October 16th, 2020 08:00

Thanks @jphughan  - It seems however that the only output I have on the P2715Q is a miniDP out..

Not your suggested DP. 

Or am I missing something? 

And @DELL-Chris M  where would I set those settings you speak of?

Thanks for the help so far gents! 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 16th, 2020 08:00

Number 6 is is the full size DP out port. Just left of the Audio Line out port =

Capture.JPG

P2715Q User's Guide page 30 is the Menu OSD section. Go to Display and look for MST.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 17th, 2020 17:00

@DELL-Chris M  Good catch on that option.  Yes, MST would have to be enabled and set to Primary.  Unfortunately for @harolddurnez , that will also limit the P2715Q to 4K 30 Hz rather than 4K 60 Hz.  The display does this so that there's actually enough video bandwidth left to pass down the daisy chain because 4K 60 Hz consumes most of the bandwidth available over a DisplayPort 1.2 interface, which is the newest rev of DisplayPort supported by that display.  So @harolddurnez , if 4K 30 Hz isn't acceptable to you, then you won't want to use a daisy chain setup.  And as @DELL-Chris M  already mentioned, the DisplayPort output is a full-size DisplayPort connector, not MiniDP.

No Events found!