Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2015 15:00

P2715Q, black screen, flicker

Good day,

A couple of months ago I purchased the Dell P2715Q, and with some delay it got finally delivered. Well, it appeared the first monitor was broken and had a blue vertical line on the screen. Dell replaced it without any trouble, so thank you for that. However, now with my second P2715Q I have got a new problem. Running in 4k resolution, 3840x2160 60 hz, every now and then the monitor turns to black for a second and then it goes back on again. It happens randomly, but it appears to happen more often when gaming or watching series/movies. It does happen when idle aswell though, or just when browsing. Sometimes it happens only once in about 15 minutes, sometimes it happens twice or three times in one minute. Oh yeah, connected with a DP cable. So, any idea what could be wrong? Anyone else have this problem? I'm probably going to test the monitor at a friends place soon, see if my (new) gpu might be causing it, but I doubt it. I had the black flickers on my previous P2715Q aswell and tested that at my friends place aswell. There the black flickers happened too.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2016 05:00

The problem has been solved, it was the cable that was the issue. Had a Clicktronic High Quality 4K DisplayPort cable but apparently that wasn't good enough, bought a Premium GOLD cable from Lindy which is DP1.2 certified and the issue no longer occurs.

It is funny though considering VESA said in a blog that it doesn't matter which cable you use, but that is obviously untrue.

Also the cable that is included in the box with the monitor from Dell, the DP->mDP works also but it sits very lose in the connections and the screen will turn off and back on whenever you touch the cable or adjust the monitor from lack of contact.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 17th, 2015 16:00

Enter the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Display. Change MST to Primary 4K2K 30Hz and retest. If the black out does not occur, then the video card driver or card itself are having issues with MST Off 4K2K 60Hz.

7 Posts

June 17th, 2015 18:00

Some added information, forgot to mention it:

Club3D PCIe AMD R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 ROYAL ACE

Tried the latest Omega driver and latest beta driver, had black flickers with both.

Shouldn't the card have no problems whatsoever with 60hz? I'll try MST Primary for now, but the 30hz is killing me already hehe. Will let you know if it helps or not. And will test it at a friends place when I got the time aswell, see if it might by my new gpu.

July 20th, 2015 20:00

I have the same exact problem. 4k works fine over DP or mDP at 30hz. At 60hz it is unbearable as it flickers and cuts in and out to black. I reached out to Dell and they sent me a replacement, which has the same problem. I emailed them a video I recorded of what is happenening and they supposely mailed a 2nd replacement, but after they provided me the tracking# it turned out they shiped it to someone in tennesee by mistake. So, so far same issue with 2 monitors.

My video card is a LCS r9 290x. Per manufacturer is should have no issue at that resolution and timing.

7 Posts

July 21st, 2015 05:00

Hi Adam,

It's been a while isnce I posted this problem and haven't reacted since, but that's not because the problem is solved. Been working 14 hours or more at the office, so haven't had the chance to watch movies/series or play games with the Dell monitor.

A few days ago I was watching a series however, and the flickering happened. 4k 60 hz. Problem doesn't seem to occur with MST Primary, but that just makes things even worse. 30 hz, ugh. No thanks.

I doubt it's the videocard or driver that's causing it. Unless it's an ATI 290x thing, considering we both  have one?

4 Posts

July 21st, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem. I have an R7 260x. I have tried using different cables as well.

I used to get a thin static line occasionally, but now I am getting screen blackouts when bringing a window to the foreground in Windows 8.1

I can't ascertain the true cause -- I did a Windows update and an ATI driver update a few days ago, and that's when the screen blackouts started manifesting themselves.

I strongly suspect that it's the ATI drivers that are flaky. I haven't tried downgrading the drivers to a much older version. When I originally bought the monitor a few months ago, I had no glitching. But I've done a few AMD driver updates since then, and that's when problems started arising.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2015 10:00

A possible fix -- after some experimentation, I noticed that on my window switching, the text "Standard" and "Multimedia" would appear in the top left corner of my monitor in red.

It turns out my blacking out is caused by the Dell Display Manager application changing modes because it was in "Auto Mode" and changing the mode of the screen depending on what application was in the foreground.

I forced it to Manual and "Standard" and the blacking out has stopped for me.

7 Posts

July 21st, 2015 13:00

It's been on standard all along at my end, so that isn't the problem or fix at my end. I'm guessing it's indeed something with the ATI drivers. It's so darn annoying, not knowing whether the monitor is broken or if it is a gpu related problem.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2015 13:00

I didn't catch the issue until I noticed that the problems weren't happening until "everything completely loaded" after a reboot -- that's what led me to assume it was the Dell Display Manager. You might also want to try exiting the Dell Display Manager app altogether and seeing if that makes a difference. That app does seem to have some weird tendencies. Unless you're using any of it's features like window alignment, it might best be kept disabled at startup.

Having said that, after going to ATI from NVidia, I haven't been impressed with the quality of the drivers. My other problem since doing a Windows Update and Catalyst driver update over the last week is that my mouse pointer has become gigantic.

7 Posts

July 25th, 2015 17:00

Maximum file size is 500 kb??? Seriously, Dell? In what century do you live? What good is a forum, when I can't even upload a video with the problem?

Anyway, it was a nightmare yesterday, lot's of black flickers. After that, I shut off the monitor with the power button, powered it on again and after that zero flickers. Today, I went to test the monitor at a friend's place. See if my videocard would be faulty or something, it's a new one after all. Well, the monitor was unusable at his place, see the video. My friend is playing Witcher 3, or trying...

We tested a few things and we came to the following conclusion: the black flickers are random, but the colour green ticks the screen off. You know, a bull reacts to the colour red, the monitor reacts to the colour green. A full green background will make the screen go mad and flicker all the time, while the colour red doesn't make the screen flicker.

There's a lot of green in the Witcher vid that I posted, that might be the reason for the many flickers.
We tested with 4k 60 hz ofcourse, considering that's the sole reason to have this monitor. 30hz or 1440p works fine.

So, both at my place and at my friends place the problems occur and they are gradually getting worse. Any solution at all? Is the monitor kaput (broken), as we say it? If needed I can upload the video of the screen reacting to the colour green aswell, but the above video should tell demonstrate my problem well enough.

See the video here for the problem: https://youtu.be/OlH5iFP3_9s

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 25th, 2015 20:00

NovusRex,

What revision (A00, A01, etc.) is your monitor?

7 Posts

July 26th, 2015 04:00

It's an A01.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 27th, 2015 10:00

If troubleshooting cannot resolve the issue and the revision is A00, A01, or A02, then Dell Technical Support for your region should exchange it for an A03 revision of the display. For you region, the part number is V48W2.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2015 16:00

FWIW, all my flicker problems went away when I switched to my integrated GPU in my i7, running at 4k/60Hz.

I tend to think my AMD drivers/card are the root cause in my case, not the monitor drivers. I haven't had the need to play any games lately so I've left the monitor connected to my internal displayport, to keep the annoying flickers away.

Unfortunately most motherboards don't have built in displayport, so this isn't a solution for everyone.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 8th, 2015 16:00

Is the A03 part number X24K1?

No Events found!