Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

October 27th, 2021 00:00

P2722HE, ThinkPad X13, daisy chain to DVI?

Can you please help me with my query?

Lenovo X13 -->USB Type-C-> P2722HE --> Second monitor

I am using Dell USB Type-C hub monitor connected to my Lenovo laptop though the USB Type-C port. I have tried and failed connecting a second monitor from the Lenovo laptop HDMI port when USB Type-C is connected. later I learned when USB Type-C is connected for display and charging, the Lenovo laptop HDMI port becomes disabled. 

My monitor P2722HE support daisy chaining. With the current set up, can I connect a second monitor to Dell monitor from its DP OUT port. But remember the display to Dell monitor is not via DP, but USB Type-C.  

2. The second monitor that I have is DVI and no Display IN port, can I use an active DP to DVI converter to rectify it?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 27th, 2021 06:00

@JIMSEBAN  Yes, you can use DisplayPort daisy chaining when the connection to the first display uses a USB-C to USB-C cable, because the video signal in that scenario is still DisplayPort. However, the daisy chain connection must also use DisplayPort, so hopefully your second display has a DisplayPort input. If it only has HDMI, then you can get an active DP to HDMI adapter instead of a typical passive adapter in order to make that work.

I’m surprised that an X13 can’t use USB-C and HDMI for displays simultaneously though. Are you sure about that? The X Series is one Lenovo’s top end ThinkPad lines, and that is a strange limitation to have on that type of system.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 27th, 2021 10:00

@JIMSEBAN  Based on your edit adding the note about DVI, you'd want an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter, like this one.  If you aren't in the US and therefore that link isn't useful to you, then look for active DisplayPort to DVI adapters in a suitable online vendor.  One way to confirm that you're seeing an active adapter is by looking for AMD EyeFinity support to be mentioned in the specs.  You don't need EyeFinity here, but a DP to DVI adapter that supports EyeFinity would be an active adapter, which is what you need for your purposes.

No Events found!