Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 24th, 2003 07:00

P991 monitor problem

Last night i went to resume my monitor from screensaver and something strange has occured all the Windows now leave a strange shadow across the width of the screen and i can't seem to get rid of it.  I tried rebooting, problem is still there, tried removing the Geforce 256 32mb graphics card from the devices menu - still no resolution. 

I am not sure whether this is a montior problem -  a graphics card problem or a corrupted driver

where do i go from here?

System

Windows XP pro, Dell XPS B800r PIII, 128MB ram, Geforce 256 32MB, P991 monitor

any help appreciated!

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2003 16:00

R_Carson,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try booting into safe mode by pressing the F8 key when the system starts booting up and then choosing safe mode. If the problem is not present in this area it may be a defective video card. If it is present then, the monitor may be defective. You can run a monitor self-test to see if the problem is present. If so, email support@dell.com and have the defective part replaced.

Here are steps to run the monitor self-test.

Monitor Specific Troubleshooting

Self-Test Feature Check (STFC)

Your monitor provides a self-test feature that allows you to check whether your monitor is functioning properly. If your monitor and computer are properly connected but the monitor screen remains dark, run the monitor self-test by performing the following steps:

1. Turn off your monitor.
  2. Unplug the video cable from the back of the computer.
  3. Turn on the monitor and wait for five seconds.
    If the monitor is functioning properly, you will see a box as shown in the following illustratiuon:

This box also appears during normal system operation if the video cable becomes disconnected or damaged.

1. Turn off your monitor and reconnect the video cable; then turn on both your computer and the monitor.
  2. While in self-test mode, the LED remains green and the pattern remains on for 60 seconds.

If your monitor screen remains blank after you use the previous procedure, check your video controller and computer system; your monitor is functioning properly.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2003 17:00

thanks jesse

i borrowed a laptop and the monitor works just fine with that.

looks like the graphics card is screwed but i'll swap it out with another one at the weekend see how it goes

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 01:00

Were you able to isolate your problem to the video adaptor?

I am having a similar problem.

Thanks.

6 Posts

November 24th, 2003 07:00

Yes i was, replaced the video card and everything was fine again.  Which video card has gone wrong? mine was one of the first Geforce cards that dell were doing

Rich

2 Posts

November 24th, 2003 10:00

Thanks for the info.

I have the GeForce DDR (64M?) - about 3 year old. I have had this problem (grey 'ghost' bands across the entire

horizontal width of the screen) for almost a month and was unsure if it was the monitor or video adapter.

No Events found!