Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2012 12:00

Picture dosent fill monitor window

I have a new XPS 8300 with Dell monitor ST2420L.

I can not fill the monitor screen with picture, there is about a inch of black bars around it.

I have the AMD Radeon HD 6770 video card, I have this hooked up with the hdmi cable, but I noticed when I went in to monitor settings to adjust the picture the adjustment feature is grayed out. Is this due to using hdmi cable or driver some how, trying to find answer on how to fill screen.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2012 02:00

You need to set the screen resolution to "recommended". It should then fill the whole screen area. Right click on desktop and select "screen resolution". I have one of the same monitors and could not get it to go to screen saver , until I ran the disc that came with the monitor. (ST2420L on Win 7 machine.)

February 9th, 2012 10:00

I have the settings you described but that didnt work, I unplugged the HDMI cable and used the VGA or the DVI that Dell sent with it and it filled the screen but resolution went down, plugged back in the HDMI and have bars around the edge again, so it seems it has something to do with the way the signal is sent through the HDMI cable, thought I would and run monitor disk to see what happens and reliazed I didnt get one. Any other ideas, thank you for trying to help.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2012 12:00

Posted by                                DELL-Chris M   Have you tried this that was posted in this forum.
                                                                                                          Mine is plugged in using the "Blue" capped cable that came with monitor.
                                                                                                          Just to let you know my computer is NOT a Dell but a Compaq..
on 23 Dec 2010 7:14 PM

STFC (Self Test Feature Check)
* Switch the monitor off
* Disconnect all monitor cabling from the PC (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, USB, etc.)
* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the rear of the monitor
* Press and hold the monitor power button in for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the rear of the monitor
* Switch the monitor on
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background
- If you see the issue, the monitor is defective
- If you do not see the issue, the culprit is either the video card driver, the video card, or the cabling

FPDBIST (Flat Panel Built In Diagnostics)
* Switch the monitor off
* Disconnect all monitor cabling from the PC (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, USB, etc.)
* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the rear of the monitor
* Press and hold the monitor power button in for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the rear of the monitor
* Switch the monitor on
* Press the 1 and 4 buttons simultaneously
* Press button 4 to change the color
- If you see the issue, the monitor is defective
- If you do not see the issue, the culprit is either the video card driver, the video card, or the cabling

If the monitor Passes the STFC or the FPDBIST
* Switch the monitor and PC off
* Unplug the power cord from the back of the PC
* Disconnect the monitor from the video card
* Remove the PC case cover
* Remove and reseat the video card in the motherboard slot
* Close the case cover
* Reconnect the monitor to the video card
* Reconnect the PC power cord
* Power on the monitor and then the PC. Any difference in the issue? If no, then the video card is defective

If the monitor Fails the STFC or the FPDBIST
If under warranty and you only have a Dell monitor Order number, you should contact Order Support for your country. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact Technical Support for your country. They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason: Monitor Fails STFC or FPDBIST
**If available, provide a link to a picture of the failure

February 9th, 2012 15:00

Thank you all for your help, I figured it out by a review I saw on this monitor, since I have the add on AMD Radeon HD 6770 I had to go into the Catalyst Control Center software and tell it to stretch it, I tried that and it worked, picture is from edge to edge now, I just have never seen something like thar before, but I never bought the add on card before either, but thank you all for trying to help.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2012 16:00

I had the same problem with the same solution.  

In my Catalyst Control Center, I had to choose "Desktops and Displays" then "My Digital Flat-Panels" then "Scaling Options."

I adjusted the slider more towards "Overscan" to get the image to fill the screen.

Looking good now!

Julian

No Events found!