Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2008 18:00

Powersave problem

My Inspiron 530 is 2 months old and sends the screen into Powersave yet stays on. I have to restart it to get it going again. I have had 3 new ATI video cards and a new Motherboard so far yet it just did the problem again just now. I am going mad with this.

It is under warranty still but is there any hope of being able to sort it and trust it ever?

Tony

133 Posts

March 29th, 2008 12:00

erm could you post some details abt the configuration of your 530? which ATI cards? what screen are you talking about? what version of drivers are you using?

5 Posts

March 29th, 2008 14:00

Here's what I have :

Inspiron 530, Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600, 3.25 G Ram.

Memory: 4096mb 800mhz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (4x1024)

Windows XP

Monitor: Dell SP2008WFP 20" Truelife

Hard drive: 500gb ATA2 Dual Hard drive Non RAID (2x 250gb-7200rpm

Video card: 256mb ATI Radeon HD 2600XT

I assume being only 2 months old that it is running the latest drivers?

Any help really appreciated before I get Dell to collect and replace with a reliable setup.

Cheers.

133 Posts

March 30th, 2008 11:00

dell might not have loaded the latest drivers when they setup the system. check the driver version. current latest is catalyst 8.3.

are you running your monitor on DVI or VGA? there are others having a similar problem as well, the monitor not waking up after power save, but only on DVI.

thanks.

edit: dell changed a new motherboard and 3 identical ATI cards for you but its still giving the same problem?

Message Edited by CrymsonArray on 03-30-2008 08:34 PM

5 Posts

March 31st, 2008 10:00

I am running in DVI. Interestingly, when I disconnected the video card and ran using VGA there was no problem.

Yes 3 cards and a motherboard have been replaced!

Will check driver version.

EDIT

When I go to the display it says "no driver needed; plug and play"

When I search for Catalyst I get nothing,

When I go to ATI Control Centre it shows that I seem to have driver v8.4 ??

Message Edited by teaky on 03-31-2008 06:56 AM

133 Posts

March 31st, 2008 12:00

yes VGA shld be no problem. does your video card come with 2xDVI ports? have you tried plugging into the other one?

i think the internal ati driver version is 8.471 right? you shld take the catalyst version.

where does it say this? ---> When I go to the display it says "no driver needed; plug and play"

there seems to be another weird quirk, check if the ati hotkey poller is started in "services.msc". if it isnt, put it to automatic and start it and reboot. then it works for me, a sacrifice of arnd 6.5mb of ram.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2008 16:00

I do have 2x DVI ports, but I am loathe to disturb the plug as it seems to be behaving itself today!

When I open Control Panel, then "Display" and go to "Settings", "advanced", Monitor, Properties, Driver,it shows, under Plug and play Monitor properties: Microsoft 5.1, then under Driver details it shows "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".

So should I get the ATI catalyst one? If I download that will it automatically use it? What is the internal one doing?

Also I dont understand your last point re hotkey poller. Not being a tecckie in any way please could you explain it for me?

133 Posts

April 1st, 2008 17:00

When I open Control Panel, then "Display" and go to "Settings", "advanced", Monitor, Properties, Driver,it shows, under Plug and play Monitor properties: Microsoft 5.1, then under Driver details it shows "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".

after advanced you should go to the catalyst control center or the "options" tab to check the driver version.  it should say something like catalyst X.X where it is the driver version. u are looking at the monitor driver, u should be looking for the graphics card driver instead.

if it is working now, i suggest you do not do anything to mess it up. if you really want to get the ati catalyst u should check the above 1st and make sure which version you're using.

go to START--RUN. type in "services.msc" without the quotes. on the right side look for "ati hotkey poller" it shld show either a blank or started, and automatic or manual or disabled. could you tell me what is shown? 

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 10:00

Here's what I have under Catalyst control centre:

Driver Packaging Version 8.402-070731a-051891C-Dell 
Provider ATI Technologies Inc. 
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6715 
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{C6CDAA0C-C5B1-49C3-B725-FFA55F9BB00A}/0000 
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0517 
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.6747 
CATALYST® Control Center Version 1.2.2735.37383

Have looked at ATI poller - is showing: Started, Automatic, Local System 

BTW. it played up this morning when I clicked my User Icon too quickly after starting up. It went into Powersave mode and I had to hold the pc power button in to shut down, then restart!!

133 Posts

April 4th, 2008 01:00

@teaky wrote:

Here's what I have under Catalyst control centre:

Driver Packaging Version 8.402-070731a-051891C-Dell 
Provider ATI Technologies Inc. 
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6715 
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{C6CDAA0C-C5B1-49C3-B725-FFA55F9BB00A}/0000 
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0517 
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.6747 
CATALYST® Control Center Version 1.2.2735.37383

Have looked at ATI poller - is showing: Started, Automatic, Local System 

BTW. it played up this morning when I clicked my User Icon too quickly after starting up. It went into Powersave mode and I had to hold the pc power button in to shut down, then restart!!

the bold line above seems to say that you're using something between catalyst 7.8 and 7.9? i am not too sure, as this site http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonxprevious-xp.html
does not have an entry for 8.402. only 8.401. maybe dell specific driver?

oops, maybe u shld not be clicking so quickly on the user icon then. so far have you ever got it working? how about trying the workaround in http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&thread.id=89085

1 Message

November 17th, 2008 21:00

how do I access the thread http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&thread.id=89085

the link just keeps taking me to the community homepage

1 Message

November 24th, 2008 13:00

Hi All!  First off, sorry if I am interupting!  Same problem here, Except... I did change the computer back to VGA believing the video card had failed...  The Power Save Problem is worse now.  The screen, when the monitor menu button is pushed says, - "1.  Analog Input.     In Power Save Mode     Press any key or keyboard or move mouse.."  And it occurs while someone is working on the computer...  Sorry again if I am hijacking, but looking for answers as well.  Thanks!  Also, I was unable to get to the thread posted.

133 Posts

December 6th, 2008 21:00

bah. blame dell for having the "clever" idea of updating their working very well forum to their new forum. now the new one looks nice but doesn't have alot of the old functionality.

including having all the old forums links broken. thanks alot dell.

i have to go digging arnd to find out what thread that was. you could also plug that link into google and find the cached version.

again thank dell for their wonderful idea to update a perfectly working forum to an even worse one.

5 Posts

April 4th, 2009 10:00

I am having the same issue.  I got a replacement I honestly thought it was somethign else so I waited a while.  But indeed it is the monitor, they sent me a replacement of course the same model and it having even more issues than my last.  Also, I can say that it does only happen when my brother plays games. 

I will be calling them again..

No Events found!