Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2012 11:00

Problems with U2412M (buttons, lines, color fields)

I am using a U2412M display and it has begun having a variety of issues since yesterday.

• The capacitive and the physical on/off button do not function. The on/off icon remains lit blue even when the DVI cable is unattached.
  • When I came in yesterday morning, the display had a black and blue checkerboard pattern instead of what I usually see (the Windows 7 login screen). This morning, it was a dark green field. I have also seen it change to a baby blue field while I was working.
  • Today it has begun displaying vertical pink lines that vibrate throughout the display. They do not always go up the height of the screen--sometimes they are in horizontal bands. If left alone, these bands will eventually become vertical bars with vibrating horizontal lines in them, and they can appear black or psychedelic.

The only way I can fix it is to pull the plug. When I plug it in again, I get the boot screen (Dell logo) and then it works normally for a few minutes. New cables, a different DVI port and/or plugging into another video input on the computer has done nothing. I am running a DVI splitter off the video card so it has a 2nd monitor attached, and it is unaffected. This computer also uses a SEE2 Xtreme external video card for a 3rd monitor, but it also seems unaffected and unplugging it does not help the problem.

I have also checked the diagnostics trick (hold down capacitive buttons 1 and 4) and I can't get it to come up. Probably because the buttons do nothing.

Jeremy

March 27th, 2012 11:00

Dell has sent us a replacement monitor.

March 20th, 2012 11:00

I just tried bringing up the diagnostics immediately after reboot and it did come up. The first time the buttons failed after just a few seconds and I was stuck on the gray screen. The second time, I went faster and made it through all the screens. They looked normal.

I also forgot to mention that the monitor is also prone to simply "turn off" and show a black screen. The screen still glows--you can see a difference when it's unplugged--but it looks black.

March 20th, 2012 15:00

Now I am starting to see failures during reboot. The Dell logo appears and the capacitive buttons light up, but then colored pixels appear on top of the logo, bounded by a box around the logo. All I can do is unplug it again.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 21st, 2012 09:00

* Only the 27" and 30" monitors have a Service Tag number
* If you only have a Dell order number for your monitor, you should contact Order Support for your country
* If you purchased the monitor bundled with a Dell computer, contact Technical Support for your country and use the computer Service Tag number
* They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Order number or computer Service Tag number if bundled:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason:

March 23rd, 2012 09:00

This doesn't help me. I'm in a corporate environment and don't have this information.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 24th, 2012 17:00

Contact the procurement team in your corporate environment so they can get us the Dell Order number. Then, we can check the warranty status against that number.

March 26th, 2012 08:00

I have let them know and I'll keep you posted.

No Events found!