Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 24th, 2012 15:00

Question about the 'Color Precision/Accuracy' of UltraSharp U2410

I am a graphic designer, so I wanted to be sure to invest in a quality monitor.  A monitor that can accurately display color for both print and web projects is absolutely critical - as a designer or photo editor, you spend a lot of time selecting and tweaking color, getting it just right.  If what you print out, or what is displayed on other people's monitors via a web project is drastically different from the color you have created onscreen, then you have wasted your time.  

The reason I paid so much for this monitor instead of going with a less expensive one is because it claims to display accurate and precise color.  It says that it is 'color-calibrated at the factory for accurate, consistent, and precise colors' and emphasizes a 'simple and outstanding Out-of-Box experience.'  

I'm more of a designer than a techie, so maybe someone can help me here.  Compared to a variety of other monitors, this one noticeably has a much 'pinker' color cast when comparing whites on screen.  Here is a photo of the UltraSharp U2410 next to a Dell Inspiron laptop and an HP laptop, taken with no ambient light interference, and with the U2410 in either sRGB or Adobe RGB mode (both of which come 'factory calibrated' and both have a pinkish/warmer cast):

http://www.joeybuda.com/3monitors.JPG

This is going to cause a problem with web projects, because the colors I produce on my monitor are going to display drastically different on the monitors of probably the majority of the internet-using population (which in my opinion look a lot closer to 'neutral' white).

To further illustrate, here is a photo of an iTouch (white screen) next to the UltraSharp, in sRGB mode - the standard for web/screen:

http://www.joeybuda.com/sRGB.JPG

Does this mean that every other monitor is actually showing inaccurate color, or is the U2410 claim of 'accurate color' false?  

Further, can I trust that its factory preset for Adobe RGB (the 'Print' color space) can be trusted as well?

Can anyone tell me what is going on with these color spaces and this monitor?  Is it supposed to be like this?  Is this 'accurate' color?  Help is much appreciated, as the 'return policy' date is approaching, and it is a pretty costly monitor.

Thank you!

4 Posts

February 24th, 2012 18:00

The thing is, I can't tell which of the monitors is the most 'correct.'  Maybe the warmer (pinkish) is 'correct'?  Also, I did see that a lot of people were having an issue with a green tint on the left side of the monitor / pink tint on the right, but haven't come across any complaints about a total pink color cast, but I will Google for that.  If Dell thinks this isn't an issue, then they are completely out of touch with the design and photography industries.

-Joey  

58 Posts

February 24th, 2012 18:00

Google "U2410 pink tint", you will see you're not alone. Dell state that it is not an issue, but people with this monitor and the tint problem disagree. I have to admit that's the worst pink tint I've seen, in fact that's definitely more than just a tint. Get it returned asap.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 25th, 2012 01:00

Hello, Joey!

In which country are you located? I'm going to buy the same model of monitor. Can a marriage depends on where the assembly. In Russia, it is China and the Czech Republic!

4 Posts

February 25th, 2012 03:00

This one says on the box that it was assembled in Mexico.

No Events found!