Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2005 21:00

Resolution stuck 640x480, 16-bit color

I recently reinstalled windows XP my computer and when it was fully restored i turned it on to find my Screen resolution is stuck on 640x480 and 16bit color. i have a dimension 3000.  I can't fix it, so help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Message Edited by vroom125 on 07-07-2005 05:39 PM

12.1K Posts

July 7th, 2005 22:00

How did you reinstall windows ?  By using the Symantec restore program or did you do a clean reformat, and reinstallation ?  If you used the Symantec Restore function, than right click an empty space on your desktop, click on Properties in the next box you see, than click on Settings ontop.  Now slide the resolution bar you see on the lower left side to what ever your monitor native resolution should be.  Click on Apply, than OK afterwards, than the monitor should go blank for a few seconds.  Another box will appear in the upper left side asking you if you wish to keep the new settings.  Click OK.  You only have a few seconds to do this or back to the old setting it will be, so act fast.   If that does not work and you reformatted the hard drive, than follow the below suggestions

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_CEL_3000&os=WW1&osl=EN  #  This is the download site for your Dim 3000 system.  Find the video driver that you probably failed to install after the reinstallation on windows, and install it.  After which, go back into display properties and reset the resolution to what ever monitor you have.

Gen 5
3.2 Ghz Dual Core
2 Gb Dual Channel DDR-2 667 Mhz
nVidia 6800 256 Mb PCI-Express
74 Gb ( 10,000 RPM ) Drive
Floppy drive
Dual Drive 16XDVD & DVD+/-RW
IEEE 1394
17 inch (1703 FP) LCD
460 watt power supply

Message Edited by SR45 on 07-07-2005 06:40 PM

2 Posts

July 12th, 2005 12:00

@vroom125 wrote:
I recently reinstalled windows XP my computer and when it was fully restored i turned it on to find my Screen resolution is stuck on 640x480 and 16bit color. i have a dimension 3000.  I can't fix it, so help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Message Edited by vroom125 on 07-07-200505:39 PM

We have this problem here as well. We did a clean reformat and reinstalled Windows XP. However, when I go to the Dell site to download the driver for the Dimension 3000, the drivers for the monitor that came with the machine aren't listed. I did eventually find a zip file for them, downloaded it onto the computer but when I go to the settings to update the driver, the properties box is grayed out and won't let me open it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

July 12th, 2005 14:00

Thank you for your response. I did do some more searching on the system and discovered the video drivers were not installed. I did that and presto! It works.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 12th, 2005 14:00

pacawa,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You need to install the chipset drivers and then install the video card drivers into the system in order to have all the color and resolution choices.

No Events found!