Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2017 06:00

S2009W, blinking power light on power on

I have this monitor plugged in to a Dell Inspiron 537 i7 with windows 10. Everything has been fine since I bought this setup, but now something is happening with the monitor.

When I press the power button on the monitor after the computer has been off overnight, the power light initially turns white, but then starts to blink white instead of going in to power save mode (orange). Then when I boot the computer, the monitor stays black (still blinking) until the windows login screen wakes it up, and then everything is fine. 

Here is the sequence i experienced:

1. Power down the computer
  2. Monitor goes into power save mode (orange)
  3. Turn off the monitor (power light is off)
  4. Turn off the power strip to everything (I was doing this when everything worked fine)
  5. ...overnight...
  6. Turn on the power strip
  7. Turn on the monitor (power button is white)
  8. Power button then blinks white instead of going orange. (it used to go orange I think)
  9. Turn on the computer
  10. Screen remains black until the windows login kicks it on.

The monitor passes self test just fine and otherwise works fine.

Any ideas what could be going on?

P.S. I just tried the same sequence, but only left the power strip off for about 5 minutes. When I powered on the monitor this time it went into power save mode as I would expect it to.

10 Posts

February 24th, 2017 06:00

A new monitor solved the problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 17th, 2017 08:00

First, I would turn everything off, disconnect them from the power strip, plug them directly into the wall outlet and retest.

10 Posts

February 17th, 2017 09:00

I plugged the monitor into the wall and powered it on. It went into power save mode as expected.

I also cleaned the power strip sockets with compressed air, plugged everything back in, powered on the monitor, and it went into power save mode as expected. When the PC was turned on, the screen behaved as expected.

While this is promising, I won't be convinced until I try again after letting the monitor sit all night with the power strip turned off (as this was the way I had been doing it for a long time).

I will report back tomorrow morning.

10 Posts

February 18th, 2017 06:00

I did it again. After I turned on the power strip, I pressed the monitor power button and it started blinking white, and did not wake up until the log in screen. It almost seems like time is a factor.

Any other ideas?

10 Posts

February 19th, 2017 06:00

One more update:

I left the monitor plugged into the wall overnight. In the morning I pressed the power button and the button started blinking white. After about 5 minutes or so, it turned orange.

However, when I turned on the PC the button started blinking white again, and the didn't wake up until the login screen

Also, the monitor menu button does not work while the power light is blinking white.

Is there something in the monitor that would do this?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 20th, 2017 06:00

It could be that the 8 year old monitor is intermittently failing. The only other testing I know is to use it with a different computer to verify the issue follows the monitor.

10 Posts

February 20th, 2017 08:00

My monitor is 2 years old - not 8.

I left it plugged into a wall socket and in powersave mode overnight, when I turned on the computer, it started blinking again and didn't come on until log in screen.

I don't have a spare PC to test it with - but why would the connection to the PC have anything to do with waking up from powersave mode?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 21st, 2017 05:00

8 years old as in the release date of this monitor model. Not from when you actually bought it. A monitor does not control when it wakes up. The PC controls the signal going to a monitor.

10 Posts

February 21st, 2017 12:00

Fair enough on the age.

But still, even when the PC is off and the monitor is powered on, the white light blinks instead of going into power save mode. That must be an indication of something related to the monitor right...? Unless you are confirming for me that that is normal operating procedure for the monitor?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 21st, 2017 13:00

Turn the monitor off. Disconnect all video cables from the monitor. Turn the monitor on. The power LED should be solid white. If not, it could be faulty.

10 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 06:00

If i do that from a state when the monitor is already on and working, then yes, the light is white and a no-signal banner is floating across the screen.

If I turn the monitor on after being cold for a while (a few hours or more) and with the PC off, it blinks.

Chris - does a blinking power light indicate a particular fault in a monitor? There is  nothing in the manual about that.

2 Posts

October 18th, 2019 13:00

It has bad capacitors that can be easily and very cheaply repaired even for someone who doesn't tinker much with electronics like myself. This issue is common with almost all LCD displays.

Generally, two of them near the power connector go bad. If you disassemble the monitor, you can notice the bad capacitors by a bulge on their top. I got both for less than $1 and since I don't have a soldering iron, I took the PCB and the new capacitors to a local repair shop to do the soldering. He tried to dissuade me from using the ones I bought because they have 40V instead of 15V, which is totally okay (it has to be equal or superior in Voltage, but the capacity (measured in uF - microFarads) has to be exactly the same, maybe a bit less is okayish). He wanted me to bring him the whole monitor for him to fix for like $10, but I told him if it didn't work, I'll do that. He took just $1 for the quick soldering job, but he made sure to install one new capacitor inverted so it doesn't work. I checked that when I returned home and I quickly corrected the polarity, which was easy since the new ones were soldered using long wires that I simply took off the capacitor and switched them and used duct tape to secure them. and it worked perfectly.

As a bonus, it no longer makes the obnoxious high-pitched sound when it's on sleep like when it used to work =D

I encourage everyone to fix theirs or at least take it to a repair shop. Our oceans don't need more plastic

No Events found!