Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2013 14:00

S2240T, Touch display won't work

I just bought this monitor and it will properly display what it should, but it won't do anything when I touch it. I have the USB cable connected from my monitor to my computer. My OS is Windows 8.1. I believe it's possible that there needs to be a driver installed for the touch to work, but the disc (and documentation) that it comes with is very little use for that. The driver on the disk that I installed I think is just for the display, not touch.

1 Message

July 19th, 2014 10:00

I had to reset my whole computer Win8.1

I have the Dell P2314T (VGA) touch screen monitor also that has worked fine since I bought the new optiplex and monitor. When I reinstall my system it di not work.

I disconnected all the connections on the back of the monitor and was able to then recalibrate and set the touch screen and now it works fine.

SO it does work with Win 8.1

but needs to be the last USB connection to be recognized Maybe or just needs to be re added as if it were a new device to the system last.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 13:00

Ezroni,

"I'm connecting using HDMI, not USB"

* The User's Guide page 6 states, "USB Cable (enables touch screen function on the monitor)". Page 9 states, "Connect the USB cable that came with your monitor to the monitor and the computer. Once this cable is connected, you can use the touch screen function on the monitor.".

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_Display/dell-s2240t_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 30th, 2013 15:00

Randy Jr.,

The User's Guide do not specify Windows 8.1 compatibility. They only mention Windows 8. But we released these Guides before the 8.1 update was released.

The drivers we post on our File library are not Touch, they are inf and icm. Our stand alone Touch capable monitors do not require a specific Touch driver. The Touch capability is inate in the operating system. So if Touch worked in Windows 8, but not 8.1, then 8.1 is the culprit, not the monitor.

Dell has seven touchscreen monitors:
SX2210T, ST2220T = Windows 7 Touch supported
E2014T, S2240T, S2340T, P2314T, P2714T = Windows 8 Touch supported (these should work after loading the 8.1 update)

* Press the Windows key and type Control Panel
* In search, type Calibrate and select Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input under Tablet PC Settings
* Select Reset under Display options and select yes

3 Posts

October 30th, 2013 16:00

I had 8.1 on my desktop already when I first connected the display. However, I did try setting up the display on another computer with Windows 7 and had the same results. 

4 Posts

October 31st, 2013 08:00

I think on Windows 8 you want to look for the "Biometric Service"

4 Posts

October 31st, 2013 08:00

I had a similar issue on Windows 7.  Make sure the 'TouchInputService' is running.  It may be named something different on Win8....

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19530244.aspx

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 31st, 2013 10:00

FoxS,

Thanks for your help on the Forums!

3 Posts

October 31st, 2013 14:00

I did try starting the services and using the monitor on both computers and it still didn't work on either of them. I would try downgrading to Windows 8, but I don't think I can because of the way my operating system was installed (or at least I would lose some features, like Media Center, in the process). I'll probably end up returning the monitor; but thanks for trying to help at least. 

3 Posts

October 31st, 2013 18:00

I have the same issue with Windows 8.1 and the S2340T. It worked fine before I upgraded. Will Dell please provide drivers for Windows 8.1! What good is it to have a touchscreen monitor in which touch doesn't work. I could have purchased a far cheaper monitor instead.

10 Posts

October 31st, 2013 20:00

Sitting here tearing my hair out with the same issue. Dell S2240T monitor, Windows 8.1.

It would appear that an S2240T driver labeled as working for Windows 8.1 was once available on the Dell site, but is not now.

Can a Dell employee please speak to this? Is a Windows 8.1 driver expected soon for this monitor?  Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 1st, 2013 06:00

All,

This 8.1 problem has been escalated. This will take some time. My guess is that we will have to contact Microsoft.

10 Posts

November 1st, 2013 10:00

Thanks for your prompt reply, Chris.

In your view is it reasonable for me to expect the S2240T to work on Windows 8.1 within the next few weeks, whether with a new driver, patch, or whatever? If I'm confident I'll be able to use it relatively soon, it's certainly easier for me to keep it and wait rather than return it. The display is fine; it's just the touch that doesn't work.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 10:00

merged data

10 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 12:00

I can certainly appreciate that. Let me ask the question this way:  understanding my expressed views on it, if you were me, would you keep it?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 3rd, 2013 13:00

I would simply remove the 8.1 update and keep everything. It is your call though.

No Events found!