Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 27th, 2018 06:00

S2316H, no audio

Recently my S2316H stopped appearing on the sound output options, as you can see in the picture. I have reinstalled the driver today and restarted but to no avail. Any ideas?
Untitled.png

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 27th, 2018 07:00

We need to know how you are connecting the S2316H to the PC?

How to use the Built-in Speakers

* Connection via HDMI =
PC video card HDMI out port --> S2316H HDMI to HDMI cable --> S2316H HDMI in port
* Open the operating system Audio Playback devices and choose the S2316H HDMI as the Default Audio Playback device
* Press the S2316H Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Audio
* Audio Source = HDMI
* Set the volume to 50
* Exit the OSD

* Connection via VGA =
PC video card VGA out port --> VGA to VGA cable --> S2316H VGA in port
* Connect an RCA cable from the PC audio out jack to the S2216H audio line in jack
* Go to Audio
* Audio Source = PC audio
* Set the volume to 50
* Exit the OSD

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 27th, 2018 09:00

* Turn the PC and S2316H off
* Disconnect EVERY audio device (microphone, headsets, headphones, speakers) from both the PC and the S2316H
* Disconnect the S2316H from the PC (every cable)
* Disconnect the power cable from the S2316H. Wait 30 seconds
* Reconnect the power cable to the S2316H
* Reconnect ONLY the HDMI to HDMI cable
PC video card HDMI out port --> S2316H HDMI to HDMI cable --> S2316H HDMI in port
* Turn the S2316H on, then the PC

* Open the operating system Audio Playback devices and choose the S2316H HDMI as the Default Audio Playback device
* Go to Audio
* Audio Source = HDMI
* Set the volume to 50
* Exit the OSD

11 Posts

July 27th, 2018 09:00

I'm connecting through HDMI. As I said, the monitor does not appear in the audio playback devices, so I can't follow your first step. I did all the remaining steps, but it didn't fix the issue. What else can I do?

It's not letting me upload an image, but you can check it out here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vtfs94ZCUS9b5PFmiB7tLhP5AVDjJxjG/view?usp=sharing

11 Posts

July 31st, 2018 01:00

Regarding step 6, the Surface Book does not have an HDMI port, only a mini display port. I have a connector from HDMI to Mini display.
I was able to complete all of the following steps, except step 8 because S2316H still does not show up in the audio playback devices list.
No sound yet, unfortunately. Any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 31st, 2018 07:00

Surface Book mDP out port --> mDP to HDMI cable? adapter? --> S2316H HDMI in port

Are you using the Microsoft Surface Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter? Like so =
Surface Book mDP out port --> Microsoft Surface Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter --> S2316H HDMI to HDMI cable --> S2316H HDMI in port

Don't know. Assuming that the above original setup "used" to work based on your statement, "Recently my S2316H stopped appearing on the sound output options.". If it used to work using the above setup, then some operating system change or update had to have happened on the Surface Book?

Or is this the first time you tried using it on the Surface Book?

Is there a PC with HDMI out port to test by itself on the S2316H HDMI in port? To verify that the S2316H audio functions correctly?

You should also post the issue on the Surface Book Forum to get their take.

11 Posts

July 31st, 2018 11:00

>Surface Book mDP out port --> Microsoft Surface Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter --> S2316H HDMI to HDMI cable --> S2316H HDMI in port

Yes, I am using that setup.

The monitor audio has worked in the past. I can't say the exact time when it stopped working because I usually use headphones. There was a couple of Windows 10 updates recently, so that might've been it. However, if that's the case, it means that Dell needs to update the driver.

I tested the audio with a PlayStation 4, and it's working.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 31st, 2018 14:00

The fact that the PS4 to S2316H audio worked means that there is nothing wrong with our driver or hardware. It means Microsoft needs to correct the driver that they broke. You should post the issue on the Surface Book Forum to let them know.

11 Posts

August 1st, 2018 02:00

I'm failing to see the connection between audio working on PlayStation 4 and knowing that the Windows driver is working. As far as I know, there is no driver installation on the PlayStation OS, and the audio is provided to the monitor by a primary HDMI connection. I believe it to be more accurate to say that the firmware is working correctly.
Also, the device drivers are provided by the hardware maker, on an OS-specific basis. If the driver is no longer compatible with the OS, then it should be the hardware manufacturer to provide an update to the driver, not the other way around. There is a vast amount of devices to work with Windows. We can't expect Microsoft to work from their side on compatibility to all of this devices. I don't even like them (Microsoft), but I don't think it's expectable of them to do this. It makes way more sense for the device manufacturers to adjust the drivers to the OS because there's only 2 or 3 commonly used out there.

No Events found!