Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2013 05:00

S2340M, No Windows XP support. This is by design

I am trying to add a Dell Monitor S2340M to a Dell Dimension 3000 series running Windows XP SP3 32 bit. The driver disk doesn't have Win XP 32 bit drivers, Dell's website doesn't list them, just Vista 32 bit and up and the box doesn't say no drivers available for Windows XP. With the windows generic driver the GUI doesn't even function ie: can't even get the cursor in log on box. Everything works just fine when booted into VGA mode on the boot menu, just a horrible display. In the Device Manager NO yellow exclamation symbol next to the monitor which says PNP Monitor not Dell S2340M.

This is for a customers computer. He initially wanted an Acer S230HL, nowhere on the box did it say 64 Bit drivers only. We returned it and I recommended a Dell monitor. He chose the Dell S2340 and paid more for it. I ran the installation disk, it said it found the right driver 059 I think same bad non functional display. Back into VGA mode and your website doesn't list any XP drivers? I live in a small town and have a good reputation as a PC tech, only now I have one extremely unhappy customer using VGA mode on his computer after returning the first monitor he bought and buying the one I recommended the Dell S2340M. Surprise, no driver's for Windows XP 32 bit either. Now, I not only have an extremely unhappy customer, I have a hostile one. Does Dell no longer support Windows XP? If so why don't they tell the world so we avoid your products if still using XP and put that printing on the boxes?  Where are the drivers for the S2340M monitor for both Win XP 32 and 64 bit to download? Do they even exist?  Help me out here fella's, you're killin me.

Chris S.
A.S Information Technology
COMP-Tia i-Net Certified
COMP-Tia Security+ Certified

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 5th, 2013 11:00

Chris S,

XP specific driver support is not available on the newer monitors. We are simply following Microsoft's lead on this. They consider XP end of life. We are not going to post on the Sales site a statement that XP is not supported. Dell Sales would never let that fly. We will state that in the compatibility section of the driver.

XP will identify the monitor as a generic PNP device. Even then, you should be able to set the S2340M monitor to its default resolution of 1920x1080, IF the video card driver supports that resolution. The only driver we offer is for Vista, 7, and 8.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2014 07:00

I am having the same issue with an older Dimension 8200 running XP. The display is fine using the generic drivers in Windows, but is there a way to stop the error messages every time the computer boots up?

Al

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 30th, 2014 08:00

What specific error messages?

3 Posts

October 30th, 2014 17:00

Chris,

First, a Found New Hardware, DellS2340M Digital bubble appears above the tray. Then The Found New Hardware Wizard opens stating:

"There was a problem installing this hardware-plug and play monitor. A service installation section in this inf is invalid. Click finish to close the wizard."

Then the tray bubble reappears with the message:

"A problem occurred during initiation. Your hardware may not work properly."

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 30th, 2014 20:00

This is to be expected in unsupported XP. You should still be able to run the default 1920x1080 resolution. But because there is not a specific XP inf, those messages will appear.

3 Posts

October 31st, 2014 06:00

Yes, the resolution is fine, but the Display Manager software won't run and the error messages can't be stopped. Windows will just keep complaining about not finding the correct file. :emotion-7:

Thanks for listening.

Al

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 31st, 2014 08:00

The Display Manager software was never designed to run in XP. So of course it will error out. The page itself lists the supported Operating Systems =
MS Windows 7 32-bit
MS Windows 7 64-bit
MS Windows 8 32-bit
MS Windows 8 64-bit
MS Windows Vista 32-bit
MS Windows Vista 64-bit

No Events found!