Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2009 07:00

S2409W, HDMI setting won't go into power-save mode?

So I've searched high and low on these Dell community forums (as well as other sites) and I haven't seen this problem documented. The problem I'm having is when I hook up the HDMI cable from computer (530 slim tower) to my s2409w I get a nice clear picture and everything works as expected, until I put the computer into sleep mode.  The computer sleeps but the monitor goes blank almost as if it were going to sleep, but then displays the default monitor screen saver that says "hdmi cable not present".  What I was expecting was the monitor to go into power save mode. When I use my DVI cable or VGA cable and put the computer to sleep, both the computer and the monitor go into sleep mode as expected.  This problem only occurs with HDMI. I've tried setting the monitor to "auto detect" and "hdmi" for cable selection and neither work for putting the monitor to sleep. Anyone have a solution, or similar experience?  I've seen lot's of posts about the hdmi audio power save problem, but not with this one.

-thanks

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 06:00

I know this is an old thread, but I was having the same problem with another Dell monitor and a homebuilt computer.  In another thread someone said that some HDMI cables have this problem, and some don't.  I just wanted to confirm that it IS THE CABLE.  

I swapped HDMI cables with my TV.  The TV had an older, thicker cable.  Immediately after doing this, the monitor now goes to sleep just as it should.  All I can guess is the really cheap thin cables skip making the connection(s) required for this functionality since TVs don't need sleep mode.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2009 11:00

I recieved an XPS 540 with 2409W monitor and I used HDMI and have the EXACT same problems.  VGA and DVI works fine but that the HDMI connection for some reason doesn't get the proper signal to the monitor to go to "Standby" or "Power Save" mode.  I put a query into Dell Support and they have yet to reply back to me.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2009 22:00

I just spoke on the phone for about 45 minutes with some agent who spoke terrible english. At the end of the whole ordeal, he tells me that HDMI is not supposed to function as a monitor and that I NEEDED to buy a video card to connect DVI to DVI on the monitor.  He went as far as to tell me that DVI is superior to HDMI.  What a bunch of for circumventing the real problem. Its because windows doesn't recognize the 2409W power down settings correctly. There ARE IN FACT several HDMI monitors out there that shuts down when Windows does. So don't believe any DELL Tech Support offers you. I've bought 3 Dells, NO MORE.

5 Posts

April 12th, 2009 08:00

OK ... After tinkering around with my setup (I was doing some cleanup and cable management) the problem is solved!  I didn't do anything out of the ordinary but I have a feeling the issue is due to the monitors "memory" or last known state.  So here's what I did.

I had the DVI cable hooked to it.  Powered down the monitor (pulled plug from wall) unhooked dvi cable.  Machine was totally powered down too (unplugged).  Unhooked DVI cable from computer.  Then plugged in HDMI cable to computer, then to monitor.  Plugged computer back in and monitor.  Powered on computer and powered on monitor.  After booted I then put computer to sleep (I have a hauppauge remote with sleep button)...machine went to sleep, screen went blank then a blue rectangle message appeard saying it was going into sleep mode...the white l.e.d. turned orange and I was happy.

So, only thing different that I can tell is I had the monitor unplugged from wall.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 12th, 2009 12:00

By unplugging the power, you reset the monitor which then forgot the previous settings.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2009 18:00

I am still having problems.   You said you are connecting HDMI cable to computer.  Is the HDMI port off the Motherboard or do you have a Video Card with HDMI output (or DVI output to HDMI adapter)? 

Many thanks.  If I can make the problem go away with video card, I'm ready to do that.  I tried unplugging everthing and nada.

14 Posts

August 19th, 2009 15:00

I'm having this problem too. No amount of plugging and unplugging solved my problem. I also have a soundbar attached via the HDMI, and although I haven't had the hdmi audio power save issue described elsewhere (yet), I do wonder whether the fact it's conencted via HDMI is the reason it refuses to go to sleep. I just spent an hour and 20 mins in a live chat box, after much too-ing and fro-ing, they told me it works with DVI and VGA, but not HDMI  (in case any Dell support staff are reading this, look up incident ). I can't beleive that Dell (in 2009) is selling a monitor that doesn't go into sleep mode on all ports, I see  the 'HDMI Cable Not Present' message bouncing around and think "what a waste of energy" (before reaching over and turning the monitor off manually).  The monitor this replaced (a 6 year old NEC) managed to go to sleep attached to the same PC (also a Dell). I was told that  "a supervisor will get back to me"; I do hope that this can be resolved.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 21st, 2009 07:00

We need to know your PC model, video card, and operating system.

14 Posts

August 24th, 2009 01:00

Hi Chris,

• PC Model: Dell Studio Hybrid  140G
  • Video card: Device Manager reports "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family" (which I believe is standard) Your support chap talked me through installing the latest driver (which made no difference)
  •  OS: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 (with all standard automatic updates) 

Apologies for missing this critical information in the original post. Thanks for your email describing the workaround, unfortunately it was not successful and the problem remains. Also, the steps you provided did not quite work as described, so perhaps I'm missing something:

>Current work around –
>* Power off the computer and the monitor
OK
>* Disconnect all cabling to the monitor OK
>* Press and Hold the monitor power button in for 5 seconds Felt a little strange doing this to an unplugged monitor, but OK, I did it.
>* Reconnect only the HDMI cable to the computer video card and then the monitor OK
>* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the monitor OK, but when I did the monitor powered on **
>* Power on the PC, then the monitor OK, but the monitor was already on (see above)
>* Press the monitor Input Source Select button and choose HDMI input OK
>* It should go into power save mode when the computer goes It did not

** I also went through the same steps plugging the monitor in ah I held the power button down, with the same result.

Even if this workaround had worked, it would have been just that, a workaround - not a fix. Until this issue is resolved, I will continue to employ my own workaround i.e. physically turning the monitor off. All I want to do is save some power. I trust Dell can help me bring this troublesome issue to a satisfactory conclusion.

Regards
Gareth 

2 Posts

August 25th, 2009 18:00

funny cause i've got the exact OPPOSITE problem with the same monitor; it goes to power save mode if I turn it on after i turn on the PC. So i have to turn on my monitor first. but like yours this problem only exists with hdmi.

14 Posts

August 25th, 2009 22:00

Well powow, good luck getting it fixed!

I just spent another two hours on the phone with Dell Support, most of it being asked for information I have already given them.

I suspect that they either don't record anything in their support logs or that they're buying time.

Either way, it's getting very frustrating.  If I don't get resolution by the end of the week, it's going back in the box.   

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 26th, 2009 13:00

Just to be clear, if the PC is in a sleep state, you must press the PC power button to wake the PC up before the monitor can wake up.

Is this what you all are doing?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 28th, 2009 19:00

We cannot replicate the issue in our lab in Austin or Asia?

System setup in Austin:
-       Studio Hybrid 140G w/system BIOS 1.0.3 (Original) and 1.0.10
-       Video : Intel 965 Express family GM x3100
-       Video driver : 7.15.10.1472 (Original) and 7.15.10.1537
-       Monitor S2409W

Test set-up :

1). Monitor sleep only

2). PC Sleep only
3). Both monitor & PC sleep (monitor wake up first)

Conclusion :
No issue found, S2409W wake-up as expected, cannot duplicate the issue.

14 Posts

September 1st, 2009 20:00

Apologies for the delay in responding, I had to reset my Dell login

I have version 1.0.10 of the System  BIOS (dated 02/16/09

I have version 7.15.10.1537 of the Video BIOS

Both of these are the versions tech support asked me to install.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 1st, 2009 23:00

We tested with both the older and latest drivers and could not get the S2409W to fail. Have you considered getting a monitor exchange to have another one to test on? In an exchange, you keep your original monitor until the replacement gets there. So you would have them both on hand. If the replacement does the same thing, you can just send it back. 

No Events found!