Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

August 1st, 2018 00:00

S2417DG, Alienware laptop GPU, severe issues

I am having severe issues with my S2417DG Dell monitor. It goes nuts with blinking off then on again frequently unless I keep it at the lowest refresh 60Hz. Recently I tried to install a new game and it started doing worse. At first, it would just go to sleep within a minute or two of playing the game during the opening cinematics. Then when I tried to adjust game settings to try to fix this extremely irritating and game breaking issue, it crashed my computer, on at least two separate occasions. I am using an Alienware M17x laptop with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680m GPU. The computer has been upgraded to 32GB RAM and an Intel i7-3940XM CPU, with a 250 GB SSD system drive and a 1TB 7200rpm HDD data drive. The monitor is connected to my computer using a DP to mini DP cord. The system runs Windows 7 Professional 64bit using the High Performance power plan with PCI Link State off. The monitor's resolution is set to 2560x1440 and it was purchased directly from Dell.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 1st, 2018 09:00

I do not believe that the laptop Nvidia GeForce GTX 680m GPU is qualified to run the required G-SYNC. So you can only use the S2417DG at 60Hz non-overclocked. The oldest qualified desktop Nvidia video card that I have seen working was the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti with a pixel clock of 586MHz. What is the pixel clock on that laptop 680m? You should ask the Alienware owners here to see if they have used the S2417DG in overclocked modes.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2018 17:00

Thank you for replying.  I understand the limitations.  According to the nVidia Control Panel help file, G-Sync requires "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST or higher GPU (or Kepler-class or later Quadro GPU)" That particular GPU was released in March 2013, whereas mine was released June 2012 but is still Kepler-class.  I looked up the specs on Techpoweredup but couldn't see where to find the pixel clock.  There are some differences on that page however as mine definitely has an output, the Mini-DisplayPort I am using.  It also seems as if the 680M has better specs than the 650 Ti except for clock speeds, but as I am not extremely familiar with reading these specs perhaps I am missing something.  Their 'relative performance' comparison list does show the 650 Ti Boost at 89% vs the 680m though. 

As I say, I am using it at 60Hz non-overclocked do to the flickering problems I had.  That isn't the current issue though it does somewhat ruin the purpose of buying this particular monitor in the first place.  The issue is that it is crashing my computer, specifically it is causing a driver_irql_not_less_or_equal in one of the nVidia sys files: nvlddmkm.sys.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2018 05:00

Is there a Desktop PC with a newer Nvidia card to test the S2417DG? If not, you should run all of this by our Alienware moderators (Alienware-Eimy, Alienware-Rodrigo) over on the Alienware board.

No Events found!