Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

S

3 Posts

February 24th, 2021 08:00

S2721DGF, black screen but has power

So roughly 2 weeks ago I purchased and received a brand new pre-built gaming pc and a brand new S2721dgf. Since the first day I was experiencing short black screen flickering lasting 1 to 2 seconds. About 3 days into me using the PC and in the middle of playing a game, the display went black. Power was still on, my second monitor was still on and displayed everything as it was before the first monitor went black. The black monitor still appears to have the back light on because if you turn it off it will get even darker and when you turn it on it responds with a faint glow/gray. I am unable to bring up the OSD at all. I could still drag my mouse over between the monitors, I could even guess where my windows were on my first monitor and drag them over to my second monitor. This is how I managed to open up the windows display settings, due to everything still opening on the first monitor even if I initiate it on my second one. So I duplicated the displays to start. Began Googling issues and proceeded to go through a plethora of troubleshooting attempts such as, power it off and on, change the display port cables, change the power cables, try hdmi, attempt to power cycle by unplugging and holding all the buttons down for 30 seconds, update drivers for the monitor and GPU, safe mode Uninstall GPU drivers and there maybe some others im forgetting.

Despite all that nothing seemed to change anything with the monitor. The only thing to ever change or fix it was after a couple hours of idle time I ended up switching my windows display setting to "Show only 2nd monitor" which ended up causing first monitor to turn back on with the message "no dp signal from your device" then I switch back to extended displays and it works fine again and everything is back to normal.

Since then it had happened 2 more times and was fixed the same way as the first but never immediately. Always after a few hours of idle time and randomly try to switch windows monitor display settings. The last time it happened it took almost a day to work again.

I'm here looking for a potential remedy but I'm guessing there isn't one because I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue and I'm thinking its something wrong with the software inside the monitor. If I can't find help here I'll just send it back and get a new one.

My cpu is a ryzen 5600x, gpu is a 3070. Main monitor in question is the s2721dgf connected via display port and second monitor is a BenQ 1080p  connected via a dvi to hdmi cable. Let me know if you need any other details. I appreciate the help, thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

February 24th, 2021 11:00

* Turn the PC, S2721DGF, and BenQ monitor off
* Disconnect the BenQ monitor and all of its cables from the PC and 3070

* Disconnect the S2721DGF DP to DP cable from the 3070
* Disconnect the S2721DGF USB upstream cable from the PC

* Disconnect every cable from the S2721DGF
* Press and hold the S2721DGF power button for 8 seconds

* Reconnect the S2721DGF DP to DP cable to its DP in port and the 3070 DP out port
* Reconnect the S2721DGF USB upstream cable to its USB upstream port and to the PC USB port
* Turn the S2721DGF on, then the PC. Test using this single monitor setup

3 Posts

February 24th, 2021 19:00

A small detail I just noticed is that in the blackened state I can no longer turn HDR on/off in the windows display settings. Wasn't really sure if that's a potential variable that can be used to rule something out.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2021 19:00

Just got the black screen again and tried exactly what you said and it didn't work unfortunately. I haven't had a USB upstream cable connected until this last troubleshooting effort. Out of curiosity, since this is my first monitor with USB upstream, is it required to be connected if I don't have any USB devices plugged in or does it affect the monitors display at all?
It's odd that nothing I seem to do to the monitor ever takes it out of it's blackened/back lit state. If I shut it off or switch display settings on a second monitor it will darken the screen but go right back to the back lit black screen. No errors or OSD.

No Events found!