Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

November 4th, 2020 02:00

S2721DGF, crashes but is possibly NOT defective

I read a thread talking about S2721DGF crashing, ended up exchanged for a new unit. My unit seems to work perfectly except there is some situation where it crashes. I am not sure what causes it. In my setup I have a high quality 5m DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable, no other monitors. Something happens and now the screen remains black. Pressing the on/off switch does turn the power LED on/off, but screen remains dead. As soon as power cable is removed and put back in, the splash screen appears and monitor starts working normally.

Possible situations where it happens: after computer sleep, after doing something with Remote Desktop Connection, ClickMonitorDDC's power off (which is a special state, but also that should always fully turn power back on when physically pressing the switch off>on). The screen is often in this dead state in the morning when I try to use it. Computer is running, but no image no matter what. However, power cable out and in, and it works again. I tried fiddling around but I couldn't pinpoint the situation where the problem happens.

I had exactly similar problem with my previous Dell U2713HM, only power cable out/in would revive. I don't know exactly what caused the problem in that case either, but then I used a different older DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable (older than my current v1.4 cable).

How come these Dells crash like this? Please Dell, fix the monitor firmware so that physical power off/on always resets whatever the problem is? (I tried finding Dell support email for this, but apparently there is none.)

4 Posts

November 4th, 2020 02:00

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 4th, 2020 10:00

None of our monitor were tested/validated by the manufacturer with 5m/16.4ft video cable. The online S2721DGF User's Guide shows that it was shipped with the following tested/validated video cables =

DP 1.4 to DP 1.4 1.8m/5.9ft
HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.0 1.8m/5.9ft

So you should start the troubleshooting over using those supplied video cables and post the results.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2020 09:00

There's no quick way for me to test this, I don't have a shorter DP 1.4 cable and also I'm not sure how to replicate the problem. So you suspect it's possible that a long cable causes some kind of crash which is only fixed by removing the power cable?

I'll try to figure out exactly when the problem occurs. Would be nice if the monitor would completely reset without having to remove the power cable. But as a last resort, I could buy a short C14 to C13 power cable with on/off switch. At least that would save me the effort of removing the power cable.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2020 09:00

"I don't have a shorter DP 1.4 cable"
* Didn't the S2721DGF box ship with the 1.8m/5.9ft DP 1.4 to DP 1.4 cable?

No Events found!