Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

7 Posts

January 8th, 2019 03:00

SE2717H, "Flashing" black screen

So I got new monitor and for some reason sometimes when I start my pc monitor is "flashing" black screen - aka every couple seconds screen go black for milisecond, like it is turned off and on again very fast.

I dont know what is problem. This is second SE2717H monitor I have - first one i had for 1 week but I returned because there was 7 dead pixels and I didnt have same kind of problem with that one - now that I have new one I get this problem at least every other day. I installed drivers for monitor and Dell monitor app. Like is said the most weird thing is that it happens just sometimes, and I have filing that it have to do something with power supply since it start to have problems especially when screen go black because im not on PC, and when I try to "wake it up" this problem start - but that is just guess because sometimes it start from the moment I turn on PC.

What is problem? I really dont want to change monitors again.

Spec:
Windows 10 Pro
CPU: Intel i5 6600 3.3 GHz
MBO: ASUS H110M-C, DDR4
RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR4, 2133 MHz
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 RS Hard Swap, 8GB GDDR5

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 10th, 2019 09:00

* Does this flashing happen when running the SE2717H standalone Built-in diagnostics (page 40) ?

* Are you connecting to the PC like this?
PC Radeon RX 480 HDMI out port --> SE2717H HDMI to HDMI cable --> SE2717H HDMI in port

* Press the SE2717H Menu button
- Go to Others
- Choose Factory Reset
- Does the bottom of that menu show Resolution: 1920x1080, 60Hz ?
- Exit the Menu

* Have you tested this SE2717H and its HDMI to HDMI cable on a different PC to see if it also has the flashing issue?

7 Posts

January 11th, 2019 11:00

* Does this flashing happen when running the SE2717H standalone Built-in diagnostics (page 40) ?
No. Flashing when my monitor is started "normally". I will try that also when (if) my monitor is started with "flashing" again.

* Are you connecting to the PC like this?
PC Radeon RX 480 HDMI out port --> SE2717H HDMI to HDMI cable --> SE2717H HDMI in port
Yes, I'm connected with HDMI cable like that.

* Press the SE2717H Menu button
- Go to Others
- Choose Factory Reset
- Does the bottom of that menu show Resolution: 1920x1080, 60Hz ?
- Exit the Menu
I did it. May I ask, why does it say in bottom right corner "Maximum 1920x1080, 60Hz", when my monitor should be 75Hz, and I have 75Hz option in windows settings?

* Have you tested this SE2717H and its HDMI to HDMI cable on a different PC to see if it also has the flashing issue?
Yes, like I said, I have even tested same HDMI cable on this same monitor (my old one with dead pixels that was returned). Also tested on laptop-TV and other PC, so I don't think cable is issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 12th, 2019 06:00

If Windows and the AMD Radeon RX 480 control panel both show the AMD FreeSync 75Hz, you should be setup correctly. I am not sure if the monitor menu will reflect that 75Hz. The User's Guide only shows 60Hz. I also do not see anything in the monitor menu to enable or disable AMD FreeSync, so it must all be done within the AMD Radeon RX 480 control panel. Another SE2717H owner will need to post their menu result.

7 Posts

January 14th, 2019 02:00

It's happening as I'm writting this. It starts to get really annoying.. I'm 100% sure it have to do with power now because it starts when kitchen hood is turned on in kitchen or someother power user is turned on... This make absolutly 0 sense since I have no problems with old monitor or any other monitor in house, nor there is too much power users in house and electricy network is stable. Any solution?!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 14th, 2019 05:00

That is odd. Is the monitor power cable plugged into a standard surge protector, then the wall outlet?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 14th, 2019 10:00

The fact that you have to power off/power on the PC means that the PC video card (Radeon RX 480) had stopped sending a signal to the SE2717H. The PC power off/power on forces the PC video card to initialize the signal to the SE2717H. Is there another PC there to test the SE2717H on to see if the issue follows the monitor?

7 Posts

January 14th, 2019 10:00

Yeah it's plugged in standard surge that is connected to wall outlet. I changed surge with new one just to see if that is problem, but somehow I doubt it. Any other idea what might be problem? Cause to my understanding even if surge is problem, monitor should work normal after "restart". But when I turn off and again on monitor it still continue to "blink", and only way to stop him is to restart entire PC (not even unplug connection cable of monitor help, but only reset of entire PC).

7 Posts

January 15th, 2019 03:00

Not at the moment, since my other PC have no HDMI output and only have old VGA. 
But like I said, this same monitor (SE2717H) worked fine on this same PC for 7 days before I returned it (dead pixels, factory failure) and old monitor I used for years never had this problem. Same monitor is now on other PC - still working normally. Everything was connected in the same way.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 15th, 2019 05:00

Still not sure if the 2nd monitor is at fault, but, you could initiate another monitor exchange. When the 3rd one gets there, test it. If the 3rd has the same issue as the 2nd, the 2nd was not faulty. Send the 3rd one back. If the 3rd one works, send the 2nd one back.

7 Posts

February 1st, 2019 13:00

If I change monitor again im risking getting monitor with dead pixels again (like first one I exchanged), and maybe this time I will be "unlucky" and dont have more than 5 dead pixels... Is it any fix I could do on my current monitor? I'm not willing to risk again.
No Events found!