Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2008 22:00

SP2208WFP Flat Panel Monitor not staying backlit...

I have the SP2208WFP Flat Panel monitor on my wife's XPS system.  She came and got me and said that the monitor wasn't working.  I turned the monitor off and then back on and viola! - it worked.  As I got up to go back to my office it blacked out again.

Basically, it will stay on for about 2-3 seconds, then it goes dark.  You can actually see a very dark version of what is on the screen, but it almost black.

I checked here and found the self-test, so I performed it.  I unplugged the monitor from the computer and turned it on and got the RGB test bars - for about 2-3 seconds, then the screen went black.

Plugging the monitor back in, and starting the computer - it shows the DELL startup screen (DOS screen) for about 2-3 seconds, then goes dark.  Then when Windows starts to fire up, it lights back up and shows me that for 2-3 seconds.  Then when Windows goes from SVGA on the startup screen to the high resolution it shows me the screen again for 2-3 seconds.  Then it never comes back, unless I turn the monitor off, then on - and I will get 2-3 seconds of normal screen, then it goes dark again.

When I do start the monitor back up, it makes a "fizz" sound briefly as the image comes on the screen.

I'm no expert, but this looks like the backlight isn't staying on for some reason.

This was a Christmas present for the wife and she uses the webcam all the time with her parents and our kid, so she is hacked at me right now.

The monitor isn't 6 months old yet, what do I do?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Paul Breakfield

Message Edited by tsteele93 on 05-15-2008 06:49 PM

15 Posts

May 16th, 2008 15:00

Maybe I should also ask if this is the proper place for this kind of question, or where I should go to see about getting this monitor replaced or serviced.  What is the proper procedure, anyone know?

Thanks,

Paul Breakfield

15 Posts

May 18th, 2008 13:00

Well this is quite the happening forum!  So, I've tried to go through technical support, but apparently if you order a peripheral and don't have a SERVICE TAG you do not exist as far as DELL is concerned.

My frustration is wearing thin on this.

It is looking like the easiest thing will be to just initiate a return and get a refurbished exchange.  Thanks Dell.  I was pretty hacked when this happened, but as I've seen published before, it is how a company handles a screw-up that determines whether they are any good or not.

So far I am disappointed.  I bought a relatively expensive monitor from them (and I also own a 24 inch as well) and can't even get to a chat session without a service tag for a standalone monitor.

Maybe I am wrong - do monitors have service tags?  My experience is that the computer has the service tag.

I'd just like to e-mail or chat with a human being.

15 Posts

May 20th, 2008 00:00

Well, if anyone is looking in on this I have found a solution.  Just get in touch with Dell directly - this forum seems rather sparsely populated.  I was able to get a new monitor sent out (should arrive in 3-5 days) and I will be returning the broken monitor to Dell.

I am pleased with the service.  I did find it difficult to get the return process started, but once I was able to initiate it - the process has been very straightforward.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2009 08:00

The exact same thing just happened to us with the same monitor.  It's now two years old now, I wonder if they will replace mine or if I'm just out of luck?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 19:00

I have to check the warranty status. Send me the following in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message) -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Operating system:
Video card:
Video card ports tested:
Reason:

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 10:00

I have the same monitor and just today it fails to start...get the flash, the 2-3 seconds of desktop, then a "fizz' and out it goes.  Can this be repaired or do we have to pitch it?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 23rd, 2010 17:00

We only replace them while under warranty. We do not repair them. Get it replaced if under warranty. If you only have a monitor order number, you should contact Order Support. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact Technical Support. They will need the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason: SP2208WFP Fails Self Test, blacks out after 2 to 3 seconds

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 18:00

Hello Chris -

I actually contacted Technical Support after my post to see what my options were as my warranty had expired.  I renewed my warranty, walked thru some troubleshooting tips with the Dell Support agent and she determined the monitor was malfunctioning.   A replacement in on its way.

Thanks, Kathie

No Events found!